Senior Design

Anthony96

I want to design an alarm system with some "nifty" new additions for my senior design project. Has anyone done this who could give me a few pointers (the program part is simple, I just thought I might get a few good tips from you guys)?

Here is a little insight on me. I am a senior in an ABET Electrical Engineering Program through University of Florida. I have been employed as a controls engineer (Co-op) for only 2 months now. The interesting thing is, my university focuses on electronics, microelectronics, semi-conductors, power electronics, electrical energy (power), robotics, linear control systems (PID) and communications.

So as you can see I have only the last two months of experience with PLCs. However, I have read several books and have some experience with AB PLCs here at my office as well as fix32 and iFix software. Also, I have a working knowledge of digital logic and ladder logic, so no holding my hands like many others you veterens seem to get irritated with. :^)

I have looked into the Siemens' LOGO, and the AB PICO. However, I believe niether will allow any type of PC HMI operator interface. What I need to know is, what PLC would be the least costly while meeting these specifications:

-fix32 or iFix 3.0 HMI compatible
-up to 10 inputs, I am guessing I will only need max 24VDC
-utilizes ladder logic for program (I realize most do)
-entire package around $500 (PLC, cables, software, 2-hour demo verison of GE software is free, couple of actuators, tubing, sensors, foil,etc..)
-easy setup and networking for a beginner with a basic understanding of network communications
-QUALITY PRODUCT (I would rather pay a little more and have it last)
-seems like there is something else that I am missing...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The AutomationDirect.com DL-06 will meet your cost objectives, can be a Modbus RTU slave so it will interface with almost any HMI, and has inexpensive analog cards available, and has PID capability.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. I have started on the HMI with a cool virtual LCD display in Fix 32, now I just need to get to work on the rest of it. I haven't ran this idea past my professor yet, is this complex enough (seems like it to me, develop tag database, HMI, ladder logic, possible network, physical construction of windows and other alarm components, etc.) to meet a senior design project? I hope so.

JNelson...I will have to read and re-read that post to see what you mean. Thanks.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
MODBUS RTU

I contacted Automation Direct about the DL06 to inquire about Modbus RTU (not to familiar with it). The tech I spoke with said that as long as Fix 32 had this Modbus RTU driver I would be fine. I then researched Modbus RTU (Remote Terminal Unit) and found that it seems to be an 8-bit serial interface. I then went into my Fix 32 software to locate this driver, however the only ones similar in name to this were Modbus Ethernet, Modbus ASCII (7-bit serial), Modbus Plus and Modbus Remote.

Are Modbus RTU and Modbus Remote the same and Intellution simply left off the "Terminal Unit" or not?

PS I made a new thread about this since this post is somewhat old. See MODBUS RTU thread...sorry for any inconvenience of redundancy of threads.

Thanks.

Last edited: