RIUP 1794IE8 on PLC5 system connected via CN

NMguy

We have a PLC5 system that is connected to a Flex I/O rack via ControlNet (1794ANC15).

I have read that flex I/O is hot swappable, but can the PLC5 handle the swap? I am assuming it will be fine since the communication is ControlNet.

We will have to do the BTW once it's plugged in to kick-start it, but replacing under power is not going to upset the PLC5 is it?

I think it depends on whether or not the logic is monitoring the module status bit. I am not sure about controlnet. I do recall that with RIO, it is possible to configure a missing module to cause a rack fault, so that is something to check into as well.

Many years ago, I supported a system with c-net and flex I/O scattered all over the machine and we were able to hot swap the modules in it, but I still think it is going to depend on how it is programmed in each specific case.

Are you just replacing a faulty card with an identical one?

Yes, we would swap with an identical module. I can check the logic, I assume it is in controller properties somewhere for this rack fault config?.?

The ANC15 is flashing a red light indicating a module problem and the system is still working (less that module) so I assume taking it out and putting a new one in wouldn't cause any issue.

Last edited:
You might want to wait for an expert to chime in. My experience with ControlNet is limited and expired during the last millennium.

I do not know how critical your machinery is, but I would at least wait until a good stopping point before trying it.

It has been my experience that if there is a rack or module fault programmed, that recovery is also well handled, so if it does trigger a fault, it should start working again just about as quickly. Matter of fact, I don't think you have to do anything special to recover from a module fault. With RIO and 1771 adapters it was possible to require a manual reset of an adapter fault, but I don't think that is the case with controlnet and 1794 adapters.

Of course the creativity of the programmer might be involved if the logic is looking for module status bits so there is no guarantee until you track down all possibilities.

I can only assume you want to do a hot-swap because this is some important process that cannot be easily stopped or restarted. So, with that said, it may be better to take some time and look at all possible outcomes before you begin.

Last edited: