Clx riup

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I have a 4 slot CLX rack where I'd like to add a processor. I know the 1756 I/O supports RIUP, but do the processors support it too? I'd rather not power the rack down to add the processor. I don't see where it says RIUP is supported in the processor spec.

TIA,

Greg

Technically, yes, it supports RIUP. But you do realize that you might as well power down the rack because it's not going to be doing anything without the processor...

He could be using the other cards right now - being owned from another processor over ENET or CNET?

Thanks for the info

Actually it is being used. I would not have asked otherwise. It is currently acting as a CLX gateway. I have an ENBT card and a DHRIO card in the rack. Works pretty slick for those who haven't done one. I want to add a processor to handle some other communications that I'm adding.

Greg

Yes, it supports RIUP.

See publication 1756-IN101H-EN-P

"You can install or remove a ControlLogix controller while chassis power is on and the system is operating. If you remove the controller, all the devices owned by the controller go to their configured fault state."

Warning:

"When you insert or remove the module while backplane power is on, an electrical arc can occur. This could cause an explosion in hazardous location installations. Be sure that power is removed or the area is nonhazardous before proceeding."