PLC-5 (multiple chasses) to CLX

phuz

I'm running into an issue migrating a PLC-5 using the newer Logix Designer Export when opening a saved .ACD from RSLogix-5.
It has multiple RIO chasses, to CLX. No matter which option I select after opening the saved .ACD (Keep Existing I/O vs. Update All I/O), it will only fill one chassis worth of I/O. In other words, 29 total modules, but it only creates 16.

So far, the only thing I've found to do is create placeholder tags for all 29 modules, properly add the I/O modules in the respective chassis, and then do a find/replace for the placeholder tags.

Has anyone found a better way to handle this?

I've seen a project that was converted using the tool but never used it myself. Because of how much a pain it was to troubleshoot that project. I did a migration once of a PLC5 with 6 RIO chassis spread up and down the line. We were able to eliminate 2 altogether (one was already defunct, the 40ish year old system the other interfaced with was replaced with a new version). The home chassis and 3 other 1771 chassis were replace with ControlLogix. The last one didn't have enough space so we used Flex IO instead.
Basically, I made a hard copy of the program and went through it with the engineers in the area who knew the system to identify defunct code. I then went through and found more code that they didn't identify but that was now dead-end. That cleaned up probably almost half of the code, which is something that the conversion tool will not be able to do.
I then transcribed it rung-for-rung. It was a pain, but it was clean and I was able to use tags instead of just "N7[x]" arrays like the converter tool will give you. Frankly, if you're having this much trouble with the IO addressing, it likely won't take much longer to clean and transcribe than it's taking to sort out the IO and debug what the conversion tool didn't quite get right.
One thing we did to make it simpler is to duplicate the 1771 IO arrangement as closely as possible with 1756. In other words, the order of 120v IO modules was the same in the new system as the old. That made the translation (and rewiring) far easier.
It was a lot of work, but led to a much better final product. IMHO...

Basically their conversion tools are still somewhat lacking. They do an OK job, but still leaves quite a bit of cleanup.

I'm just going to continue on the path I've started, but hoping I find a cleaner method for the future ones. I think it was honestly easier to do the conversions back with the old method.