PLC-5/80 as a RIO Adapter

ornard10

Can someone give me an idea about PLC-5 configured as a RIO adapter?
I have a 5/80E CPU connected to 16 - 1771-IAD in a 16-slot chassis.
I am planning on using a 1756-DHRIO module as the scanner.
Is it possible to configure 2 Full Racks (Rack0 and Rack1) for the 16 - 1771-IAD using 1-slot addressing?

All help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

You just set an available blue-hose channel (1A for example) as adapter mode, assign it a rack number, baud, etc. If you want to transfer more data you can set up modules as block transfer. Look at the Channel Configuration tab. It's relatively self-explanatory.

Good Luck,

Yosi

You just set an available blue-hose channel (1A for example) as adapter mode, assign it a rack number, baud, etc. If you want to transfer more data you can set up modules as block transfer. Look at the Channel Configuration tab. It's relatively self-explanatory.

Good Luck,

Yosi

Thanks for the quick response.
Can you have a look at my configuration below.
I have a feeling that I am missing something and not sure if I configured it correctly.

PLC5_DHRIO Configuration.jpg

You should use separate files for your diagnostic and data files. It's kind of hard to see but it appears that you're using file 200 for both I/O data and diagnostics. Use file 200 for data and 201 for diagnostics or vice versa.

I also recommend using lower file numbers. For each file number, used or unused, you take up 6 words of overhead so when you use file 200 you've just eaten 1200 words of memory.

Good luck,

Yosi

Why are you using a 5/80E as an adapter?

You will have to add programming to the 5/80 to transfer the input card data (Move it to the file location you configured).

ControlLogix via DHRIO to plC5/80E which then runs as an "adapter" for the I/O in the 1771 rack. A cludge. An expensive cludge for just 16 x 16 120V input modules.

How about replacing the entire 1771 rack for some I/O that speaks Ethernet/IP natively and which can integrate seamlessly into a Controllogix system ?

You should use separate files for your diagnostic and data files. It's kind of hard to see but it appears that you're using file 200 for both I/O data and diagnostics. Use file 200 for data and 201 for diagnostics or vice versa.

I also recommend using lower file numbers. For each file number, used or unused, you take up 6 words of overhead so when you use file 200 you've just eaten 1200 words of memory.

Good luck,

Yosi

I used 200 for the diagnostic file, N201:0 for Discrete Transfer Input Source and N201:10 for Discrete Transfer Output Source. I can use a smaller file number. but my concern in my configuration is, if is there enough Input word to cover my 16 - 16points DI module (1771-IAD)?

ControlLogix via DHRIO to plC5/80E which then runs as an "adapter" for the I/O in the 1771 rack. A cludge. An expensive cludge for just 16 x 16 120V input modules.

How about replacing the entire 1771 rack for some I/O that speaks Ethernet/IP natively and which can integrate seamlessly into a Controllogix system ?

We are planning to migrate a system running on PLC-5 to a CLX CPU without replacing the IOs. We decided to use the existing PLC-5 as a RIO adapter for the new system.

By the way, the existing system has several chassis connected to a RIO network. I think the setup to the 1771-ASB modules is straight forward. I am just concerned on the conversion of the PLC-5 Channel 1A from a RIO scanner to RIO adapter.

I am not sure if my configuration is correct considering I have a PLC-5 RIO adapter mode and 16 modules.

Why are you using a 5/80E as an adapter?

You will have to add programming to the 5/80 to transfer the input card data (Move it to the file location you configured).

I have added the MOVE instruction for that. But I think the Discrete Transfer Input Source (N201:0) is not enough for 16 - 16points DI module. Or I am wrong about something? I am not sure.

I think I already found the answer at RA Knowledgebase 54259.

"NOTE: Only one rack number up to a full rack is supported. Racks that have multiple rack numbers are not supported in Adapter Mode."

So a chassis with 2 racks composed of 8 DI each rack is not possible for PLC-5 adapter mode.

Thanks for all your help.

Don't give up yet

"NOTE: Only one rack number up to a full rack is supported. Racks that have multiple rack numbers are not supported in Adapter Mode."

So a chassis with 2 racks composed of 8 DI each rack is not possible for PLC-5 adapter mode.

I'm just going on sometimes-faulty memory but, I'm pretty sure the one rack limit applies to the supervisor-adapter connection, ie., the adapter mode processor can represent only one rack to the supervisory processor. The adapter mode processor can still scan its own I/O consisting of multiple racks. You get around the one rack limit by doing BLK XFRs through one of the module addresses in the single rack dedicated to the adapter mode PLC-5 and having it then transfer that data locally (MOV or COP) to/from the I/O modules.

But, I could be wrong. Perhaps Ken Roach will happen along and confirm or destroy my supposition

Doug,

I believe you are correct.
The local chassis can be two racks, then block transfer the data to/from the scanner processor.

We are planning to migrate a system running on PLC-5 to a CLX CPU without replacing the IOs. We decided to use the existing PLC-5 as a RIO adapter for the new system.

By the way, the existing system has several chassis connected to a RIO network. I think the setup to the 1771-ASB modules is straight forward. I am just concerned on the conversion of the PLC-5 Channel 1A from a RIO scanner to RIO adapter.

I am not sure if my configuration is correct considering I have a PLC-5 RIO adapter mode and 16 modules.

Not remembering back this far, sadly, but I _think_ that Channel 1A is not configurable...it was designed to be fixed DH+. But, that might have been the 5/40...too many years.

You get around the one rack limit by doing BLK XFRs through one of the module addresses in the single rack dedicated to the adapter mode PLC-5 and having it then transfer that data locally (MOV or COP) to/from the I/O modules.

This looks nice. Can you give me more idea about this one? I am not that familiar with block transfers. Can you check my attachment? I am wondering what will happen to the Group 0 - module 0 if I put those BTs there.

I wouldn't feel secure advising you on your setup. I only dealt with this one time ten years ago and I don't have access to any hardware to verify what I put up.

I suggest starting a new thread with the words: 'PLC-5 adapter mode" in the title. This is more to the point of what you're asking and might get better responses. Also, offering why you're taking this approach might generate some better alternatives (block transfers are kind of clunky).