Programming Computer

Rambler

I have been looking to purchase a laptop computer and it has become evident that the serial port is a dying feature.

I have seen the USB to 9 pin cable and software "kit", but I have my doubts that it will work with the same industrial applications (such as PLC's, DCS's, drives and meters) that the old reliable serial port does. Has anyone had much success with these USB conversion kits?

Do a forum search on "usb". We have discussed the subject extensively.

The main conclusion is that you are best off with a built in serial port. Dell still sells models with them.

Unfortunately, I have run into that same problem myself.

I purchased a USB-to-Serial so that I could run a motor contoller using a vb program (just simple 8 bit instructions). And it worked just fine. The computer sees it as a com port. You shouldn't have any trouble.

NOTE:
I did purchase the Belkin brand adapter (The only one I could find at the time). It worked well at first, but the more i used it the less it worked. I'm sure that is just specific to the belkin brand.
I recommend staying away from the belkin brand

-Jeremy

Thanks, I have been reading the past replies and they confirm what I suspected. It is best to go with the built-in serial port.

I need to remember to search the archive before posting.

I've seen something very interesting happen with USB to DB9 converters:

We recently tried one on these, just for grins (I recommended PCMCIA card instead). It seems to work fine for programming the ControlLogix, but it's kind of interesting to watch the RS232 status light on the CPU. Instead of blinking rapidly like it would normally do, the LED seems to fade in and out. I assume there is something wrong with the voltage levels or signal quality, but we don't lose communication. I wouldn't trust it for a permanent installation!

AK

I agree. I would go with the PCMCIA card too. I believe they are much more expensive, but probably a lot more reliable.

A lot depends on the laptop. I have a HP and it is a bit cranky. I have seen other laptops where there have been no problems. The best adator I have found is the Omron one. It is not cheap but I have had no problems with it.

Sony also sell laptops with real serial ports, or did the last time I looked.

We use IBM T series exclusivly. Last I looked they hadn't removed the serial port yet. We also all cary an ATEN USB-RS232 converter. I haven't had a problem with the ATEN connecting to anything, even the device manager in windows sees it as a genuine COM port.

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 5150 and didnt even think that it didnt come with a serial connection. So I bought a USB to serial cable from usbgear.com and it works great. I use it on Omron CS1, C200H, and some Allen Bradley. My Dell has XP home on it, but I've used it with XP pro and 2000 with great luck too.

I got a Dell D600 Latitude a while back, one reason is that it has a real serial port.

It's worked fine with everything I've thrown at it so far; I haven't had much luck with USB/Serial and even PCCard Serial adapters, especially with legacy (read: DOS/Win 3.1) applications, but the built in port works fine in a 'Dos Box' under Win 2K.

The model I have only has one PC-Card Slot, but as it has built in modem, ethernet, and wireless ethernet, I haven't seen that as a lack, and it works fine with Siemens Profi cards and Rockwell DNet/CNet cards.

It also doesn't have a floppy, but I've not had any trouble transferring registrations (even Siemens annoying ones) with a Teac external USB Floppy drive.

If your not using for all the new fancy DVD and game stuff, you might consider buying an older laptop with serial, parrell, and floppy drive on Ebay. That way if the laptop is messed up in the field, it's not such a loss, and you wont need to worry about the converter etc.

I have a HP compaq nx9005 with XP pro good value and it has a serial port and built-in floppy drive as well as a DVD/CD-RW. Not as lightweight as some but then I never carry it very far.

What happened to Radio Shack?

There ought to be a "Geek Depot," where we can go to get laptops with serial ports, old copies of DOS, serial cables, and some of the other stuff we've discussed on this forum.

AK