Using the MAG Instruction

Tweeker

Lifetime Supporting Member
I needed some help understanding and using the Motion Axis Gear instruction in a CompactLogix system. As I understand it that instruction will synchronize a slave servo axis to an axis I designate as master. My question is when in my code do I use the instruction? Do I need to home each axis individually then run the MAG instruction? After running it, can I then only issue one MAM instruction to the master axis and the slave will follow?

Thanks.

The MAG instruction can be called at any time when the slave axis is ready to move
When it is called it "Locks" the Slave axis to the Master Axis using the Ratio in the instruction. The "Locking" functionality means that whenever the master axis moves (MAM, MAH, MAJ, manually etc) so does the slave axis.

If the Either axis is moving at the time MAG is enabled then you can enable the "clutch" so the slave axis ramps to the correct speed

Active Homing cancels MAG
Passive Homing permits the MAG to continue
neither axis is required to be homed before MAG is called

When you explain it like that, the clutch function makes more sense. What is the difference between passive and active homing?

passive - you control the servo movement ie you must program your own MAJ, MAM etc
active - the MAH command controls the servo movement

Active is when you use the inbuilt homing routine and home proximity - simple to program
Passive is when you have a machine that cannot use the inbuilt routine eg
slave axis that must follow a master axis while homing for mechanical reasons
or have to home while monitoring something else or the axis is feedback only
or cannot use the home input for homing​

Last edited: