BCD help

Bilbo1161

Only just learning ladder so please bear with me.

If I have 4 bits to show the following states of a motor, stopped, starting, running and fault. How do I get these out of the PLC as a BCD to read 1 = stopped, 2 = starting, 3 = running and 4 = fault.
I am using a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC

Thanks

Four bits:
bit value (weight) 8 4 2 1
bit number ------- 3 2 1 0

A value of one = 0 0 0 1
A value of two = 0 0 1 0
A value of three = 0 0 1 1
A value of four = 0 1 0 0

You can see that it is possible to go clear up to 1 1 1 1 (15 decimal) BUT since it's BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) it's not legal to go above 9 (bit pattern 1 0 0 1) then you have to move on to the next digit.

As Widelto pointed out you need only 3 bits to cater for 4 states, [Maybe can shrink it to 2 bits, if taken zero as another state]. If your PLC had a 'BCD compare' instruction, you may use it to monitor the states. Take note not to use the balance of the bits of that word in your logic if you plan to use a compare instruction.

You may watch this clock to see BCD in action

http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index...vnpok18m6o2&direction=0&order=&directory=Misc

Regards

I'm now wondering if i need to use bcd at all, or if i just use the MOV function to move the constant of either 1, 2, 3 or 4 into a register on the appropriate state being true.
What i need is the decimal value out as a register to use in a Scada package

Last edited:
Ladder option

bit 0 = stopped
bit 1 = starting
bit 2 = running
bit 3 = fault

then

XIC(bit0), XIO(bit3) MOV(0,Result);
XIC(bit1), XIO(bit3) MOV(1,Result);
XIC(bit2), XIO(bit3), MOV(2,Result);
XIC(bit3), MOV(3,Result);