Creating Control Panel Wiring Diagrams

fatgreencoat

Can anyone recommend a book, publication or website for learning to create control panel wiring diagrams? I know there are standard electrical symbols, but what about wire numbering schemes? Component labels? Seems like every company does things a little different. Just looking for some guidelines. In the USA if it matters. Point me to an old thread if you've found one I missed.

fatgreencoat,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are working in an industry, I would look up some of their prints as a starting point.

Here are things that I have run across over the past 29 years.

Before autocad electrical and other electrical cad drawing packages, I developed drawings for one customer on a 24 x 36 page with 1" line spacing.
Most all other drawings were on 11 x 17 with 1/2" line spacing.
Now, almost all drawings I see are 11x 17 with 1/2" spacing.

Drawing line numbers are based on a 4 digit number. 1223 means page 12 line 23 while a line number of 923 is page 9 line 23.

Wire numbers are based on what the customer wants.

Destination wiring - example - plc output a to fuse a to relay b. there are 2 wires. wire #1 is labeled fuse a on the plc output side and output a on the fuse side. wire #2 is labeled relay b on the fuse a side and fuse a on the relay a side. Notice that the wire label tells you where you where to go, hence the name destination wiring.

Line wiring - same example using drawing line number 1023. wire #1 is labeled 1023-1 while wire #2 is labeled 1023-2.

Some companies do this using the same example. Wire #1 is labeled O:6/10
and wire #2 is labeled O:6/10 or O:6/10A.

Component ID.
proximity switch on drawing line 422 is labeled PX422 on the prox switch.
a photo cell is labeled PEC422 on the photo cell and so on. Most companies
don't go to that extreme but there are a few. We even had to label all valves, lights, horns....

PLC component id.
I will use Slc's and plc5's for this example.
in these programming programs, I use the symbol description to identify the device. for example, I:2/01 may have a description of "part in nest fixture a prox" and be found on drawing line 2312. I would type in PX2312 for the symbol description. This tells anyone in maintenance to goto drawing 23 line 12 to see what powers the prox and where to find the wire connections.

the only drawback to this method is that the logix 5k software doesn't have a symbol description, so I'm trying to do something new to help maintenance.

I hope my information helps, but please note there are lots of other methods out there. It is up to you to go to each customer and see what they want.

james

Last edited: