slc 500 Ethernet options

mcorban

Hello folks, looking for a bit of guidance.
A little background.
I have a machine with AB slc 5/05 cpu.
It is networked with a Hirschmann switch RS2-5TX which also connects to the AB Panelview 1000.
I have downloaded the program via the serial port already, but want to backup the Panelview.
I have tried to connect using a laptop (corporate) with the aid of some online articles.
I got the ip address of the slc from the program.
What way are these normally setup.
I have RS linx on the laptop (rev 2.5), and have a cardbus notebook adapter in case i cannot change the ip address of the laptop.
I did attempt it and it showed the ip address with a question mark and a red x through it. I think this may have been down to myself.
I also do not have the ip address for the hmi or the switch.
Hoping ye can help
Mike

Last edited:
I have no experience working with panelviews, but this is simply an unknown IP address problem at the moment. When I don't know the IP address of a device, my first step is to use Wireshark to try and see ARP packets coming from it. I like to power cycle unknown components shortly after starting the packet capture with Wireshark. You also have a good starting point with the IP address of the SLC and its subnet mask. Using the IP and subnet mask from the SLC, you can narrow down a likely IP range to use something like Angry IP Scanner to find the panelview IP and connect to it with RSLinx.

can you please post pictures??

Usually in rslinx I set the ethernet/IP driver and choose my ethernet card as connoection device (no ip shown on attached pic cause im not near any plc)

this way it usually gives you any allen bradley ip in your computer ip range

meaning that if your computer is 192.168.2.xxx (any last 3 numbers between 1 to 255) your range is actually these any numbers between 1 to 255

when searching for other devices, I use a software called IP scanner, it will give me any active IP in my range

linx.jpg

oh, to get your ip
open your command editor (CMD) pressing the windows key + R

a little window open, write cmd and press enter

a black screen pop ups, write "ipconfig" with no spaces

your ip should be the first numbers

cmd.PNG ipconfig.PNG

IP can be set in rsLogix 500 file, first, search for the channel configuration in nthe menu from the left, click in channel 1 tab, un select DHCP and BootP, write your desired IP address and mask. Download file to PLC and turn PLC oFF and ON to apply changes

take care, if you upload other file to the plc you will likely "erase" its IP, is good custom to always assign the IP before the first download of the file, this way you never have connection issues, you can change IP anytime just cycle power

setting ip.jpg

I did attempt it and it showed the ip address with a question mark and a red x through it. I think this may have been down to myself.

By "it", I think you mean the RSWho browse feature in RSLinx Classic software.

Did you use the "Ethernet Devices" driver, or the "EtherNet/IP" driver ?

What IP address was shown with the question mark and the red X ? Was it the IP address of the SLC-5/05, of the PanelView, or of your computer, or something else ?

In general, a question mark means that the device is not recognized by RSLinx Classic. There is a device data file called an Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) that is easy to download and install to make RSLinx recognize a device.

But all this is less important to your task because RSLinx Classic is not involved in uploading from a PanelView Plus.

Instead, you use a driver called RSLinx Enterprise, which is generally installed and configured alongside the FactoryTalk View Studio software used to configure and maintain PanelView Plus terminals.

The part you want to use is an upload/download utility.

But first, let's be sure you know your own IP address and are reasonably confident that you can PING the SLC, see its web page, and view it with good old RSLinx Classic. If those steps are successful, we can move on to trickier software.

Also, you can use a flash memory card or USB memory device to copy a Runtime file off a PanelView Plus. If you have a 'Go to Configuration Mode' button on your application, that's the easiest way to get this done.

If you don't have a 'Go to Configuration Mode' or 'Stop Application' button in your PanelView Plus application, it's harder but still possible, using some creative Autorun.bat script files.