Fixed Style SLC-500 to Serial to Ethernet

bgrove

I am needing to connect a fixed style SLC-500 to an ethernet network for data collection to an OPC Server. I see the Fixed Style SLC-500 has an ethernet port on it, but I've read where its actual communications is DH-485. I found an AB cable 1747-PIC that converts the Ethernet style plug to RS232. Would this work into a 1769-NET-ENI device? Or is this port only meant for programming?

what is the processor version of the SLC? the SLC 5/05's are Ethernet, but the earlier 5/02's (? I think that was the version) had a DH485 port that sorta looks like an Ethernet port, that will not work on an Ethernet network.

It's a true SLC 5/00 (not 5/01, 5/02, etc). I believe the exact model is 1747-L40L. I understand it's won't work straight away ethernet. I'm just saying that the physical port is ethernet, but the actual communications is not ethernet, instead it is DH-485. My question is if the cable that I mentioned would convert it to a serial port, then use a DH-485 to Ethernet module such as the 1769-NET-ENI.

It's a true SLC 5/00 (not 5/01, 5/02, etc). I'm just saying that the physical port is ethernet, but the actual communications is not ethernet, instead it is DH-485. My question is if the cable that I mentioned would convert it to a serial port, then use a DH-485 to Ethernet module such as the 1769-NET-ENI.

No, it's not ethernet. It's RJ45, but the protocol is DH485, and there is voltage on that port that can and will fry an Ethernet port on a switch or laptop if you plug it into an ethernet device.

Might not be a terrible time to consider replacing the PLC, won't be cheaper persay but you could get a Micro1400 w/ whatever expansion cards to suit your I/O needs and get a built in ethernet port.

Also be aware that if you find a gateway that supports DH-485 to Ethernet, that it must be able to specifically support the SLC Fixed, 5/01, and 5/02. Those particular units (unlike the 5/03) cannot be "initiators" on the D-485 network so they are mute unless there is another device that can act as the initiator.

They can only act as responders. I ran into this when trying to get a modern HMI to communicate with a 5/01. It works fine with a 5/03 but the driver would have to be changed to work with the older models like yours.

This thread is about trying to talk to one with a 1747-UIC and includes a post with the RJ45 pinout:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27460

EDIT: I wholeheartedly agree with Dravik. The ML1400 can handle it and modifying the program to run on the 1400 will only take a little bit of work. IIRC, the fixed SLCs have their I/O upside down...inputs on bottom, outputs on top. Last time I upgraded one about 9 years ago, I had to replace most of the I/O wiring to get it to reach the onboard I/O.

Last edited:
I would also go for the 1400

The only other option I know of that works great is a DH485 gateway, the last one I built for about 2k and it was worth it to the customer because they were putting a network of nodes onto the ethernet... so it save them a bunch of money but for only one node I dont think its worth the cost

Also as Paul stated make sure you dont plug in anything into that Ethernet 'style' plug on your fixed 500... there are 24v's on the I think number 2 pin and it will smoke anything you plug into it other than a PIC/UIC/AIC