Single/3 Phase Power Line Installation

waxx

When installing from scratch, which is the right wire color to attached first? Is it the green/ground then the white/neutral and followed by black/hot? For safety, will the ground wire first or the hot wire? When uninstalling, the hot wire should be removed first and followed by neutral and common? Not sure which comes first and last.

The proper way is to connect Ground first & disconnect Ground last.

That's why the Ground blade on most electrical plugs are longer than the Neutral & Power blades. After you connect ground first, there isn't any rule about Neutral before Power, but common sense says yes it should.

Agree

The proper way is to connect Ground first & disconnect Ground last. That was how I've been taught for 40 years.

The people that say disconnect ground first and hook up last are people that work it hot, they remove ground so if they or a conductor hit the box no short.

The proper way is to have the power COMPLETELY REMOVED from the circuit and the disconnect locked out with YOUR lock and tagged with YOUR NAME before you even begin. After that it makes no difference.

If you are doing "hot work" without the proper training (where you would learn this) and a "Hot Electrical Work Permit" signed by at least your supervisor, then your employer is in violation of OSHA rules on providing a safe electrical workplace and subject to fines and/or imprisonment if there is an accident. Have them put that in their pipe and smoke it for a while... :sick:

The proper way is to have the power COMPLETELY REMOVED from the circuit and the disconnect locked out with YOUR lock and tagged with YOUR NAME before you even begin. After that it makes no difference.

If you are doing "hot work" without the proper training (where you would learn this) and a "Hot Electrical Work Permit" signed by at least your supervisor, then your employer is in violation of OSHA rules on providing a safe electrical workplace and subject to fines and/or imprisonment if there is an accident. Have them put that in their pipe and smoke it for a while... :sick:

This, and only this. There is no "This Color First" rule, and you aren't jump starting a car.

Yes LOTO

This, and only this. There is no "This Color First" rule, and you aren't jump starting a car.

Agreed LOTO overall but it is still good to follow the ground first and remove last INCASE somehow your circuit is reenergized, that way you are still alive to beat the **** out of the person that turned it on. :mad:

Agreed LOTO overall but it is still good to follow the ground first and remove last INCASE somehow your circuit is reenergized, that way you are still alive to beat the **** out of the person that turned it on. :mad:

How does that insure anything? Many systems, especially drives fed with a Delta-Wye transformer have no secondary ground connection, so the hot leads are floating.

If you are unsure of your LOTO procedures, or stupidly rely on someone else to handle them for you, both possibilities are taken care of by double checking with a meter before engaging tools.

I always believe in hooking up the load end of the wire first, then the source end of the wire. That ensures the least amount of chance of an energized circuit while hooking up the wires. A breaker, disconnect, etc can fail even if it is off thus a wire that is not hooked up at all will not have power on it.

Of course this only applies during new installations, if you are replacing a component then you must verify the wires are de-energized before disconnecting and reconnecting them.