Serial communication over Ethernet

nchahal7

Hi
I have a CAN device which support only CAN network, I have 1756-L71 processor and ENBT installed on the chasses. TO communicate with my CAN device, I opted Anybus communicator CAN. Now problem is anybus can interface between Ethernet/IP and CAN. But I don't know how should I send/ receive serial command over Ethernet network from control logix using rslogix5000.
I am trying using msg instructions, any help or ideas ??
thank you in advance. :)
Navi

Well, what's your experience working with Logix and protocol gateway? I ask because this is not a trivial project because Anybus' documentation are often confusing and conflicts with each other. I would start by reading all the documentation from Anybus first. Only after you done that, come back and see below:

Typically, there's two way for contrologix to talk to an Anybus gateway:

1. Using the messaging. This is harder, IMO. You would config a MSG block per Anybus' instruction after you assigned an IP address to the gateway.

or

2. Add the Anybus gateway into the contrologix's project IO tree. This would in turn generate the in and out datafiles such as ANYBUS_DATA_OUT[X], etc... which you can just read and write to like any other contrologix tags.