Power Flex 4 Drive speed set using 4-20ma

nmk

if I have pflex 4 connected to compact logix L35E chassy. On this chassy, there is an analog output module 1769-OF8C(channel 0 is configured to output 4-20ma). What I want to do is, create a tag in the rslogix 5000 project, send to the power flex 4 a specific speed via channel 0 that I verify that the power flex drive is running at that HZ. what is the decimal range equivalent for the pflex 4 that correspond to the 4-20ma. an example will be helpfull

I set analog outputs to a proportional range of engineering units in the card's properties. In the case of 4-20mA, this would be 4000 to 20000. I like to have a tag aliased to the output channel, it's usually titled "something_Raw_Output"; it isn't necessary that you do, but it makes for valuable self-documentation.

Anyway...

Since it appears you are trying to apply a command frequency to the VFD, your domain is most likely going to be 0.0 to 60.0 Hertz. Since the relationship between domain and range is linear, you can apply a straightforward f(x) = mx + b function to generate the final raw output value.

This happens to be f(x) = (800 / 3) * x + 4000, where x is the desired frequency.

You can also do this for a desired percentage, and so on.

It's important to understand that the range can differ - I do this for ease of comparing desired output vs actual output; 4000 is easily understood to be 4.00 mA, 12000 corresponds to 12.00 mA, and so on.

IIRC, the PowerFlex 4 doesn't have an analog output of its own, so *verifying* that it's running at the command frequency is another issue.

Last edited:
You can use the on-board relay.

Parameter A055 option 1="At frequency".

Might have change though, my book is almost eight years old.

Good luck