DP connection through Ethernet switch?!

DLMUK

Hi,

I have an S7-314 2PN/DP PLC connected to a Siemens HMI and to a Siemens XB008 Scalance switch.

I have been asked to provide a DP connection to the PLC via a DP/DP coupler. This is something I have not done before but from reading online I will need to add the DP coupler to my project, and configure the side connecting to my PLC.

What I am concerned about is...

I have been asked to provide an empty port on the XB008 for the DP connection - will the DP connection go through this switch ok?

Thanks,

DP/DP as in Profibus?
Or PN/PN as in Profinet?
As they have asked for a port i assume they want a PN coupler.
The "outside" profinet comes into your coupler.
The "local" profinet of the coupler can be connected to your "local" switch.
A coupler is easy to setup, go through the help files or fAQ's.
You basically "map" to your existing hardware incoming/outgoing bytes.

The DP/DP Coupler cannot be connected in any way to an ethernet system.
Nor should there be any need to. You have to integrate the DP/DP Coupler with the Profibus system that is connected to the DP port on the 314C-2PN/DP.

Ask the genius who came up with the idea of connecting the DP/DP Coupler to the Scalance switch what he really means.

If it is a Profibus coupler you'll need 2 Profibus cables.
One from the "remote" location" and one to add your coupler to the existing "Local" Profibus network.
I'm not sure where the switch is coming in.
On the other hand, if it is a Profinet coupler, the same applies.
One connection coming from the "remote" location (profibus cable plugged directly to the coupler) and a second cable that needs to be plugged to your "local" switch, to add the coupler to the exisiting network.
Not sure what the spec calls for.

Last edited: