Further Understanding AOI RSLogix

showshocka

I'm looking online in a Project trying to catch a Jam instant. I'm looking at the Logic of this AOI where I found the only instant of a Jam Photo eye in in Rung 5 on the actively working AOI. Out in the Add-On Instruction's folder in the Controller Organizer's section the "JAM_VFD" AOI says to move a time/value of 6000 into PEJ_TMR.pre. Understood up to there. My questions is it how can that J_TM go up pass the time value of 6000 from which the AOI is set, also what's driving the value of J_TM that's in the Mov instruction to go up? As you can see here the time now a J_TM is 8143. Every now and then we're getting a Jam fault here and there is no jam, or maybe it is. May Sound confusing but I tried my best to ask this.

Jam Logic_AOI.jpg

2000101 Jam Aol Logicxxx510.jpg

Last edited:
These questions may lead to the cause of your issue :)

* Is the J_TM destructive in the AOI? (Cross-Reference)
* Is the J_TM a local/input/output/inout?

If it is nowhere destuctive and declared local, its value is kinda floating. As in, nothing really determines its value aside from the initial 6000 from the AOI definition. Along the way something may have changed it, manually, external device (HMI), etc...

You can change is then by typing something in it via the tag monitor window, the value should then stay what you just typed.

Along the way something may have changed it, manually, external device (HMI), etc...

It changes constantly from 6000 to 6xxx, 7xxx and up to 8xxx as the Conveyer runs. I Screenshot it while it was well over the AOI definition of 6000

Can you post a image of the place where the AOI is called from your main ladder routine?

As the J_TM is an input for the AOI, the place where the block is called provides the value for the J_TM.

Are you having an issue with the J_TM being different outside and inside the AOI instance?

In your first image, you show the AOI with the J_TM set to 6172, and in your second image you show the current logic (I assume it's the same AOI, but it is censored in the images) of the AOI with the J_TM set to 8143.

But your first image, the program is offline, so I don't think you can trust the data table values.

Also, you could see if the J_TM variable is being set or modified somewhere in the actual program. Would be a tag something like YYY.J_TM Each J_TM would be a unique variable of the AOI tag group. Even though they may both be J_TM, each instance is really a separate tag. Edit: I do see the second J_TM is actually referenced to the first one YYY.J_TM Was hard to see originally.

Last edited:
So J_TM is being passed into each instance of the AOI as an input parameter. What is the mystery again?

The Mystery is how is J_TM is moving while the conveyor is running the only other thing that I can think of is that the variations are coming from a VFD output. I see in the definition of the AOI that the set time is 6000 and it goes up or down from there. The Motor does not have an encoder on it so it must be a value coming from a VDF. Maybe, it has to be. My confusion now is whats the difference between and input/output vs an in/out in the AOI?

Are you having an issue with the J_TM being different outside and inside the AOI instance?

yes to an extent, I was wondering how the set value of 6000 was varying up and down in the mov instruction

In your first image, you show the AOI with the J_TM set to 6172, and in your second image you show the current logic (I assume it's the same AOI, but it is censored in the images) of the AOI with the J_TM set to 8143.

But your first image, the program is offline, so I don't think you can trust the data table values.

how it varies so much, If I was to take a screenshot 2 separate times, it still could have been 6172 or 8143 if on line both times

Also, you could see if the J_TM variable is being set or modified somewhere in the actual program. Would be a tag something like YYY.J_TM Each J_TM would be a unique variable of the AOI tag group. Even though they may both be J_TM, each instance is really a separate tag. Edit: I do see the second J_TM is actually referenced to the first one YYY.J_TM Was hard to see originally.

All I did with the Editing is that everywhere where the same exact characters appeared, I used "xxx" or "yyyy" or etc..

Last edited:
yes to an extent, I was wondering how the set value of 6000 was varying up and down in the mov instruction

how it varies so much, If I was to take a screenshot 2 separate times, it still could have been 6172 or 8143 if on line both times

The J_TM value is being modified somewhere. It's being moved into a timer preset value inside the AOI. But there is nothing saying that the J_TM value cannot be changed directly.

Cross reference the YYY.J_TM tag and see where it is used. It can be set to any value at any time in the program depending on what the logic dictates.

I have noticed that a TON's ACC value increases as long as the input is TRUE. When it reaches the .PRE value, the .DN bit goes true but the .ACC continues to increase. However, a RTO's .ACC value stops increasing once the .DN bit goes TRUE, regardless of the input's state.

I have noticed that a TON's ACC value increases as long as the input is TRUE. When it reaches the .PRE value, the .DN bit goes true but the .ACC continues to increase. However, a RTO's .ACC value stops increasing once the .DN bit goes TRUE, regardless of the input's state.
yes...the Tmr.acc is waiting for the PE to be blocked. The preset is always working at various values being moved into the Tmr.pre