Laptop with built-in RS232 serialport

Also not cheap, but the Siemens Field PGs come with a 25 pin serial port (and a DB25 to DB9 converter), for when you need to communicate to a REALLY old System (S5 being the intended purpose).

I don't get to choose what laptop my IT dept gives me, and I haven't seen a traditional laptop with a serial port for a good while. Gotta be one out there, though.

Last edited:
The issue has been brought up many times here so there is a question: why would you need an actual serial port? Why not a USB-to-serial converter? There is a number of them that work well with the most demanding applications.

Thanks guys. I was hoping that I could find a 'normal' laptop, because I dont need a heavy duty.
LadderLogic: True, normally you can use a converter. 90% of the times it can do the job. But the usb has a limitation of the voltage.

some of the older software I use won't allow anything but com1-4. most USB converters come in as 6+ so a built in one just seems easier than trying to get a USB one to be com4. .. Also I am.still using XP... lol

you can use one of these: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/S...s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!61836302779!!!g!87867739977!.

along with one of these laptops:
MSI-1039
MSI-1035
MSI-1016
MSI-1047
MSI-1036
MSI-1034
Lenovo ThinkPad-T43
Lenovo ThinkPad-T60
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E8020
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK N3510
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK S7020
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK N6110
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK N6210
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E8020
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK C1320
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK S7020
HP ZV6000
Dell E1505
Dell e1705

if the reason you need an RS232 port is because the software only works with com 1 or 2
after you plug in the USB adaptor go into windows and configure the USB adaptor to be used as com 1 or 2 you can configure it to use com address and IRQ as well if needed
I have had to do that many times in the past to run older software.
Com 1 and 2 configured this way will seam to run slower then usual. Microsoft tells me that's because of the windows buffering used with USB devices, but it usually gets the job done.

The issue has been brought up many times here so there is a question: why would you need an actual serial port? Why not a USB-to-serial converter? There is a number of them that work well with the most demanding applications.

And here is your answer...

I carry 3 different serial ports

this one is supposed to be like a real serial port if your laptop has an express port

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...detailpage#Ask

I also carry the tripp lite keyspan

and I carry a small docking station.

imo, greatly preferable to just have the real thing and know it works. Even if you have the real thing sometimes you still spend time trying to arrive at the correct settings.