SLC500 PLC Memory Upgrade

JerryH

I had a 1747-L542 32k processor that was only showing "3 instruction words left" for Memory Left. We swapped this out with a 1747-L543 64k processor and it still only shows "3 instruction words left".

Any idea why? We were trying to create more free memory.

Memory.jpg

No,

change the program to a 64 k processor.
at the top of the screen there are 2 checkmarks, one verifies for errors and the other compiles the program for download.

do this and save the program under a new name, then check the memory status.

james

if the program was originally for a 32 k plc and you have now specified a 64k plc, something is definitely wrong.

is it possible to goto a good backup of the program and save it as a different name and then recompile using the 64 k plc?

you might want to goto that rung with the error and delete it and see what memory is left.

james

Once in a great while, perhaps three times in fifteen years, I have had a corruption occur when switching processor types offline with RSLogix500. When this has happened, the solution has been to save the file as a SLC type, then reopen it, save again as RSS file, then try to Verify Program. This may not be the cause of your problem, as I don't recall seeing that exact error when it happened to me.

Here is the solution our local rep sent me that did the trick:

"Ok, I figured out a solution. It must have been hung up because it couldn’t recompile the project and didn’t recognize that the processor type had changed for some reason.
I changed the controller in your program back to a L542, hit Apply. Closed the Box. Pressed Verify Project.
Went back in and changed the controller back to a L543, hit Apply. And Now it shows the correct Memory."