FactoryTalk Historian SE Configuration in SQL Server. Help Please :)

Vanessa_PLC

Bonjour,

I have been working with Historian SE for first time, and I have been having some problems connecting the historian instance with my sql database.
I followed one Knowledge database to install this historian on 2012 Server and I installed everything successfully.

The server name of the sql server 2008 is HMISERVER\FTVIEWTAGS
I added the connection to the PI System Management Tools and I get connection as piadmin, but when I go to see the PI Services I get a "Unknown Host HMISERVER\Administrateur" message.
I have been stuck on this point and I don't know what else to do. I've created the instance on the Administration console (Historical data->Production Historian->FTLD1) but nothing happens. What I'm doing wrong???

Thank you! :site: 🤾

Vanessa.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, this looks like a major headache for you. I went through the same process earlier in the year, and it took several months and some very smart IT techs to get it all working.

Rockwell Technote 56861 is a good place to start, and if you have a TechConnect Contract then Technote 52642 has a document with the procedure attached. I'm afraid I can't be a lot more help than that because by the time we ended up getting it working it was all a bit over my head :) but hopefully there might be something there to help!

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, this looks like a major headache for you. I went through the same process earlier in the year, and it took several months and some very smart IT techs to get it all working.

Rockwell Technote 56861 is a good place to start, and if you have a TechConnect Contract then Technote 52642 has a document with the procedure attached. I'm afraid I can't be a lot more help than that because by the time we ended up getting it working it was all a bit over my head :) but hopefully there might be something there to help!

đź“š
Thanks for your answer ASF, actually just the technote 52642 is working (the other one says "This answer is 'locked' or being updated."). I have been problems working with Historian SE, they want me to see if we can use it to replace the datalog of FTV SE to store data. FTHSE is a field completely new for me and i have been trying to understand how it works (I'm still having problems understanding what PI actually do). I don't understand yet the advantages of using FTHSE instead of using a datalog model ODBC data (I'm loading data from the database by BV coding on my HMI).

Thanks again for the answer 🍻 . Now I'm trying to fix my database... too much playing around now i can't open it.. :S

Hi again,
Bad news, :( I tried to follow the Technotes, but I don't have PIOLEDB as it says on the Technote, and I installed all the FTHSE kit that comes on the DVD (Ver 4.00)... o_O

What direction are you trying to take data btw?

PI -> SQL or SQL -> PI

because SQL -> PI is done w/ the RBDMS interface which isn't too bad to configure.

Hello, Thank you Dravik for your answer.

Here is what I want to do:

I want to log data from my PLC to my SQL database, so I can grab it from FT View SE (my HMI).
As far as I understand, PI creates the connection with my PLC instance and stores the tag data on the database, is that right??

I don't have problem with any license btw...

merci!

V

So, FTHSE does not log to SQL. It stores data in archive files in the PI format.

If you want to graph data, like you would from the datalogger points, FTVSE 7(I think 7 plus.. maybe other versions?) allows you to connect the trends to your FTHSE instance and pull data that way.
Pre-Reqs for that - Both FTHSE and FTVSE need to be in the same network directory, and they need to be in the same domain(or workgroup, but domain is better).
I'll see if I can dig up the manual for how that works.

FTHSE can be 'queried' via OLEDB w/ the option I mentioned above, and the RBDMS interface allows you to load SQL data into FTHSE(or write to SQL, but its kind of cumbersome).

Thank you Dravik,
Now I don't understand anything. Rockwell Technotes explains "How to configure a linked server with PI OLEDB" and it uses a SQL server, but you are telling me that it does not log to SQL... I'm a bit confused... :S

Right, So If you wanted to leverage PI data in an application that talks SQL, you would follow that Technote.

Technote 61476 sounds like what you want to do "How to Trend Data in FactoryTalk View from a FactoryTalk Historian Database" (Now this is for SE 2.1, but the information is in the 4.0 manual for the updated Historian Version)