View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2021, 01:08 PM   #9
parky
United Kingdom

What it will do is overwrite the configuration, but providing you do not save the file the original on disk will be as before, however, if you overwrite the file with what's in the PLC it will be the same unless you have installed the new card & powered back up.
So to re-iterate what you need to do if installing the card & uploading the PLC Parameters.
First make a backup copy of the program (save the original somewhere safe), do a verification of the original with the PLC to check it's the same, if not upload from the PLC to make sure you have what is in the PLC (good idea to take a snapshot of the memory as well (usually called main) Do this while the machine is not actually running i.e. the plant is idle.
power down. install the new card, power back up, read the PLC parameters (update the file), at this point you may need then to open the PLC parameters as you may need to configure the type of TC & it's conversion method etc. download the PLC Parameters to the PLC to ensure they are as required. if for some reason it selects 32 I/O points just change it back to 16 & ensure that all the addresses are as before (the ones you documented before doing anything).
Alternatively, change the PLC parameter file for the new card, power down the PLC, install the card & power back up (suggest in stop mode), download the new parameters & check everything is ok.
TBH I have never installed a card in a spare slot that is between existing cards, I have always left spare slots at the end (our usual practice was to have 10% spare actual I/O & 10% spare capacity the spare capacity was always at the end of the installed I/O, that way 16 or 32 count I/O could be installed without having to move addresses about.