Source control tool

Git.

Any day now someone will release a PLC with reliable hardware and software that uses text based project files by default, but until then Git still works for me with binary blobs.

I have set for myself a free version of Subversion server (Visual SVN) on a network and TortoiseSVN client on my laptop and save my work there at the end of each day.

I believe there is a Subversion plugin for Codesys available in the 3S store. While I do use Subversion for text based programming languages, I have not used it for PLC source code. For that purpose I just use plain old command line zip, with either batch files or a simple PowerShell script e.g. to automatically add the date to the zip filename. It only allows me to go back in time. No such fancy thing as auto compare, tagging, branching and the like.

I am not trying to use the source control features that can be done with a text file (writing the date/revision information etc.) but simply "commit" the fresh binary files (PLC, HMI, safety...) into Subversion database. This way I know if something happens, I would lose only one day worth of work.

The last version of Siemens TIA Portal v14 has version control with Multiuser package.

I played around with this right when V14 was launched.

MultiUser (which requires the purchase of an additional user license) is a promising start, but definitely not ready to go yet. It has some level of revision control, but it requires every user to be careful. It is very easy to overwrite someone elses code and not know it.

Presumably V15+ will start including protections for that and other improvements, but I can't really recommend it for now.

We spent about a month exploring the feasibility of storing Unity PLC program exports in .xef format which is text (XML) and using Beremiz http://www.beremiz.org/doc to render function block sections and doing a diff on the images or doing the diff on the XML and rendering the FB sections appropriately.

Diffplug was another tool that might have been useful. https://www.diffplug.com/

In the end Schneider's UnityDif added comparison of function block sections, and while it can't print the results or export them to PDF in a usable format yet it is good enough.

If I could have the XEF file checked in to source control regularly and a series of diffs presented visually it would really bring PLC programming out of the stone age for projects in which we end up doing a lot of programming at the job site.