You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #1
rupej
United States

Keyence SR-1000 on a MicroLogix vs CompactLogix?

I have a customer that wants to install a barcode scanner to read labels coming out of a label machine just before they are put on bottles going down a conveyor.

The idea is to have the operator enter the expected UPC code on an HMI, and if the SR-1000 sees any label that does not have that same code, to shut down the line. This would prevent the wrong label being put on the bottle.

The labeling machine has a MicroLogix 1400, but I'm wondering if there are are any add-on instructions available for Studio 5000 that would make this much easier? Does anyone have any experience with that? It would be pretty easy to stick in a new 5380 CompactLogix if it so. The Keyence site to download manuals and sample code is down right now.

Also, if it's possible, I'd like to set the barcode scanner to automatically scan as fast as possible at all times to increase the chance of catching each label- is that something that works or do I need to figure out a way to trigger it with every label coming by?

Thanks in advance- this will be my first time playing with packaging equipment.

Last edited by rupej; February 9th, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 9th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #2
jstolaruk
United States

I routinely interface SR-1000 to Compactlogix (4 as we speak). Very easy to interface, you'll need their Auto ID Network Navigator to set your device up but its very straight forward. No AOI but you could roll your own. You can set it up to read multiples very quickly.

I haven't used it with a ML1400 or if I have its been a very long time and I don't recall any difficulty.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:14 PM   #3
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupej View Post

The idea is to have the operator enter the expected UPC code on an HMI, and if the SR-1000 sees any label that does not have that same code, to shut down the line:
Sounds dramatic! Could you not just eject it into a scrap bin?
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Dravik
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
Sounds dramatic! Could you not just eject it into a scrap bin?
We shut down on a wrong code as well.(Pharma)

Might be a similar process where if the barcode is wrong something has gone horribly wrong somewhere and product quality could be impacted.
Old February 9th, 2018, 05:09 PM   #5
BlueAltezza
United States

Keyence scanners are CompactLogix do play nicely and set up in no time.
Setting it up on a Micrologix is a little more cumbersome due to the messaging structure, but still works.

In my experience with most scanners we install a button on the screen or a push button to train the scanner on the correct code. I've found that to be more reliable than having operators manually punch in all of the numbers from a barcode on a hmi. This also eliminates the additional messaging needed and allows you to keep the interface between a Micro and SR to just discrete i/o.

Or just get really wild and add a hand held scanner to send info to the SR! I've had more customer requests for that over the past year or two.
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:31 PM   #6
rupej
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAltezza View Post
In my experience with most scanners we install a button on the screen or a push button to train the scanner on the correct code. I've found that to be more reliable than having operators manually punch in all of the numbers from a barcode on a hmi. This also eliminates the additional messaging needed and allows you to keep the interface between a Micro and SR to just discrete i/o.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that was possible. In that mode, could the SR scan continuously, as fast as possible, and keep an output held as long as the last scan was a good code, and then turn the output off when it wasn't? That would eliminate a lot of screwing around with the code!

Last edited by rupej; February 9th, 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old February 12th, 2018, 08:22 AM   #7
BlueAltezza
United States

The SR1000 is pretty fast, so the best thing to do is make sure it's tuned and people aren't moving it all day. If you're reading the label when it's stopped, you can resize the field of view which will speed things up as well.
If it's moving, you'll want to set it up in a burst or continuous mode to help find the code. I do believe there are settings to help with moving targets in the AutoID navigator so be sure to look into that.

As for keeping the output high - someone could just jump the pass input on the plc and force everything to pass. My preference is assuming every label is bad until a signal from my inspection device tells me it is good, and that signal must go high during my inspection window.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum