Siemens system

According to a quick google search, all new siemens hmis, drives, distributed i/o, switches etc are compatible with ethernet i/p networks (but of course verify this for your hardware).

Also depending on the robot type, the s7-1500 has downloadable program blocks from Siemens to fully control robot arms from various manufacturers direct from PLC/HMI.

Also regarding "connections" might be good to verify this, Most CPUs have a limited max number of certain types of what they call "connections" in the TIA software (HMI, TCP, PtP, etc.). However, profinet nodes don't count toward these connections, generally the max nr of profinet nodes is a bit higher, for example the 1511 has an allowable 32 distributed I/O nodes (inc profinet, profibus, etc.). The 1215C has max of 16 I/O devices allowable (although the manual says only 8 can be activated at one time, not sure what they mean by "activated", I guess currently operating?).

Last edited:
The CPU will support a number of "devices" such as I/O and drives, an a number of "connections" such as HMIs and OPC clients.
Depending on the exact S7-1200 CPU in question it could be for example 16 devices plus 8 connections.

Another thing, can siemens only communicate using ASI, I/O link, profibus and profinet? I see nothing in there for ethernet I/P?

How much of a treat am I in for?
Can the HMIs be programmed using TIA portal?
Would you say it is similiar to a Panel view plus as far as tags and environment go?

As Jesper said, Siemens is tied to Profinet the way AB is tied to EIP. Some of the other automation components support EIP, but the PLCs don't, and I'd be shocked if they ever do. In addition to what you said above, the newer Siemens PLCs can also talk modbus and modbus TCP, as well as generic TCP/UDP type open socket comms.

TIA Portal embodies most of what people expect from modern software: Big, Bloaty, Slow. HOWEVER, it is much easier to use than the older Siemens software. I use it most days, and while I certainly have my complaints, its good stuff. You mostly need to leave your expectations from AB at the door and learn how it WANTS to be used.

The HMIs are not exactly similar to Panel Views in the projects that I've seen. There is one type of button that you add functions to, vs having one button type that is just for momentary, and other buttons for other things. In the end though, you find a different way to do the things you want. Your distributor can definitely help you get over that hurdle. For what it's worth, some of the big automotive companies in Detroit are using Siemens HMIs with Rockwell PLCs, so they can't be that bad.

In the Siemens world, flexibility is the name of the game, but often as you're learning, the benefits of that flexibility are offset by added complexity.

What do you mean the offerings in modules are not great? Is it you can only add a certain amount of expansion I/O?

I will look into the ethernet I/P remote head. I am not opposed to profinet i just need to make sure all my other devices can take it.

I'm not sure exactly what he meant, but the 1200 is intended as a BASIC controller, which means that some of the functions available in the bigger 1500's aren't availble, like a built in OPC UA server. The IO cards that fit in rack are typically low end cards that don't have much in the way of diagnostics. However, it can still control remote IO, which means you can still do just about anything you want.

According to a quick google search, all new siemens hmis, drives, distributed i/o, switches etc are compatible with ethernet i/p networks (but of course verify this for your hardware).

Also depending on the robot type, the s7-1500 has downloadable program blocks from Siemens to fully control robot arms from various manufacturers direct from PLC/HMI.

I'll note that the drives/HMIs/switches/RFID do all support EIP at some level, but the newer IO families do not. Only older families (ET200S, ET200pro) have EIP support.

FYI, the robot blocks usually require special licenses on the robot end.

In addition to what you said above, the newer Siemens PLCs can also talk modbus and modbus TCP, as well as generic TCP/UDP type open socket comms.

I might add that the 1500 series can also communicate with Rockwell stuff via CIP protocol with special blocks supplied by Siemens (though you may need to ask them for these).

Thanks again everybody for all the great insight. It really helps get my head wrapped around areas of this hardware/software that i would have never thought of at this point in the process.