Control System with Siemens S7-1200

turbohamad

Respected Members;
We are going to design F&G System. The third party quote following

1. CPU S7-1200 1214FC,
2. Analog Input Module SM1231
3. Digital Input SM 1221
4. Digital output SM 1222

Please guide me the modules are SIL2 or SIL 3 certified or not?
In the documentation of the respective modules there is nothing mention about SIL?

While the documentation of SM1226 Digital input clearly show SIl2/SIL3.

My second question is regarding obsolete of S7-1200 series with mentioned modules are obsolete or still supported by the siemens?

Regards

S7-1200 is definitely not obsolete.
From the technical specs for S7-1214FC:
Highest safety class achievable in safety mode
● Performance level according to ISO 13849-1 PLe
● SIL acc. to IEC 61508 SIL 3

It is correct that the safety IO modules for S7-1200 are called SM1226.

Are you suspicious that the supplier does not actually deliver a system that is safe ?
Ask the supplier for the documentation from how they achieve the PL or SIL.
For example with SISTEMA you calculate the achieved PL taking into account all things including the hardware used.

You need the SM 1226 DI or DQ modules for the safety.

If you need an analog input for the safety program you'll need an ET200SP remote IO with an F-AI module.

All modules are currently in production and Siemens have a standard ten year phase-out period to ensure parts are still available when a product reaches the end of it's life cycle.

Please guide me the modules are SIL2 or SIL 3 certified or not?
In the documentation of the respective modules there is nothing mention about SIL?

While the documentation of SM1226 Digital input clearly show SIl2/SIL3.

As others have said, the CPU is certified for up to SIL3/PLe, but you need to use the safety IO cards (or drives or whatever), not standard, AND wire it up correctly.

My second question is regarding obsolete of S7-1200 series with mentioned modules are obsolete or still supported by the siemens?

You can search individidual modules on https://support.industry.siemens.com to see their status. The first few years of the CPUs had a few generations of the 1200 but the current V4 FW generation has been around for about a decade. I think the safety CPUs & IO are all the newest v4 FW, so those should all be current. I think most of the original IO cards are still current.

Siemens supports a module (tech support and spare parts) for 10 years after they announce that it's getting phased out.

For example with SISTEMA you calculate the achieved PL taking into account all things including the hardware used.
The TIA Selection Tool from Siemens also supports similar functions

As others have said, the CPU is certified for up to SIL3/PLe, but you need to use the safety IO cards (or drives or whatever), not standard, AND wire it up correctly.
...AND program it correctly, AND document your risk mitigation measures, AND perform a system acceptance test...

Since this is a Fire and Gas monitoring system, you should know, that any emergency vent van motors, need to have the integrity of the motor wiring monitored. This is often done by using 4-20 ma input cards with a 250 ohm 1/2 watt resistor at the motor connections.

I used to work for an outfit, that did over 100 of these systems, for the North slope of Alaska. There are LOTS of rules and regs that have to be followed. Including battery back up for the entire system.

Last I heard, they only install in North America, but may ship to other parts of the World. PM me if you want contact information.