You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:09 PM   #1
woody400
United States

Micrologix 1200 to Micrologix 1400/PVP 600

Hello,
I currently have a Micrologix 1400 PLC connected to PanelView Plus 600 HMI through ethernet, and Ive been asked to connect an additional (existing) PLC to the HMI. The other PLC is a Micrologix 1200 and doesnt have an ethernet connection. It has the circular type RS-232 port. Im wondering if it is possible to convert the RS-232 to an ethernet connection? The Micrologix 1400 and PVP 600 both cnnect to a 4 port switch. Can I also connect the Micrologix 1200 to this switch and use the HMI to control functions on the Micrologix 1200 as well?

additionally, I have a RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server available and was wondering if this would possibly solve my problem?
Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Donnchadh
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Hi

I have used the 1761-net-eni module in the past to do this
Now it has been a good few years so I am not sure if these units are still for sale from Allen Bradley
This units requires an IP address and will appear on your ethernet network
You will also need the cable to connect to the plc

Thanks

Donnchadh
Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:00 PM   #3
rupej
United States

What's the full part number of the PanelView? The "Compact" series of PV+6 can only connect to 1 PLC. Otherwise, if you have the full ($$$) version, you should be fine.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Firejo
United States

You could connect the two MicroLogix together via DF1 full duplex and read the needed values in the 1200 from the 1400. Then the PV would be getting all of the info from the 1400 via Ethernet.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

In general, you need an Ethernet/Serial gateway that specifically supports the Rockwell EtherNet/IP and DF1 Full Duplex protocols.

That's what the 1761-NET-ENI was for. While it is no longer on the market, there are a few functional substitutes like the Spectrum Controls universal Ethernet Gateway, and the Real Time Automation 515RTAENI.

A general-purpose Ethernet-to-serial gateway or "Device Server" won't do the trick; those would require the PanelView to have a vendor-specific driver or support a designated virtual COM port driver, and they don't.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:52 AM   #6
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
That's what the 1761-NET-ENI was for. While it is no longer on the market, there are a few functional substitutes like the Spectrum Controls universal Ethernet Gateway, and the Real Time Automation 515RTAENI.
We sell one also and they are priced very good

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradl...ernet-for-df1/

We also have a series B version

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradl...ernet-for-df1/
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:46 AM   #7
woody400
United States

What is the difference between the series B and series D?
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #8
Helliana
United States

I would check into just converting the 1200 to a 1400 (or 1100 the I/O count is low) and use ethernet. The new processor usually doesn't cost much more than the gateway, it is easy to migrate because they both use the same software and I/O cards, and you get many added benefits such as online edits and higher speeds that the gateway does not provide.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum