version backups

plc noob

I have a new position in the company.I am now in my old boss position and he kept every version of ab software we ever had.

In most cases i have the latest version and about 45 version back on each title.

My question is there any value to keeping these? I was thinking of keeping the latest and maybe 1 version back?

There is even some old dos panelbuilder and A.I. stuff also.

I just wanted to see what type of setup others may use for software versions and archiving

I keep everything. You nevr know when you will get some old machines and need that old software. Memory is cheap I keep a CD that gets burnt after any MAJOR change. I have a 160 gig external hardive that gets updated monthly and is kept at my house. Yea it is over kill but we have had our servers go down and not had access to our current programs. Not a great place to be.
Hope this helps

Sorry I was thinking of programs not the install disk.

If you do deside to get rid of them let me know.

Personally, I would keep them all, new software may not always be backwards compatible. If I never anticipated needing them at my place of employment, I would save them at home!!! you just never know.

Well my only reason for wanting to get rid of some was that we are now in the process of archiving installation media to the servers and this would use lots of space.

With the advice i have gained here i now think that i will do an electronic archive of the latest version and maybe 1 version back and just store the rest of the physical media i a cd binder somewhere.