Daisy chain photo eye or sensor

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Evening,

I am working on a warehouse loading dock setup with 60 docks, trying to do trailer detection with display as to which docks are currently open. I dead is to use probably an ultrasonic sensor mounted above each dock.

Is there a bus technology out there that allows for daisy chain install of sensors? I know that Allen Bradley used to have devicenet photoeyes that could be daisy chained using condulet adapters. They have been discontinued, and it is a pretty old communication method.

I do not know much about IO link, is that capable of doing what I am looking for? I attached a photo of the condulet adapters I was talking about. Any help is appreciated.

Correction, could not post a photo from my iPad, link is below

https://us.rs-online.com/product/turck/ca-2-fk-4-5/70779575/

Thanks

Last edited:
IO has a maximum range between master and device of 20m, why not use sensors with Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, EtherCAT or similar CAT5 based interfaces that can easily span 100m, or more with the addition of a cheap switch?

IO has a maximum range between master and device of 20m, why not use sensors with Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, EtherCAT or similar CAT5 based interfaces that can easily span 100m, or more with the addition of a cheap switch?

Price. I've seen IO link on £100 sensors, by the time you get profinet capable sensors you'd be better off just using a couple of remote IO terminals.

Also throwing in AS-i and RS-485 into the mix. They're pretty much designed for daisy chaining.