Topic (read)Changing PLC battery questions

HI,

im a student and never experience changing PLC battery.

i have some questions in mind.

1. how will i know if the battery is low or it needs to be replaced.?

2. what if the battery is low then it was not replaced. for what point of time can it go? i mean until it will totally shuts off?

3. Can i Change the battery even with out low battery indications.? just asking

thank you for your respect and answers. :)

HI,

im a student and never experience changing PLC battery.

i have some questions in mind.

1. how will i know if the battery is low or it needs to be replaced.?

2. what if the battery is low then it was not replaced. for what point of time can it go? i mean until it will totally shuts off?

3. Can i Change the battery even with out low battery indications.? just asking

thank you for your respect and answers. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. If this is a homework question, then my suggestion would be to post what you've read about battery replacement so far. Also, it really helps all of the folks on here if you post what type of hardware you are asking about i.e. Rockwell, Rexroth, Siemens, etc. Not all processors have batteries (battery backup). I wish you the best and good luck in your studies!!

On Rockwell PLCs, they have an indicator on the PLC letting you know to change the battery. Usually it's best to replace annually even if the indicator does not come on, but I've seen some go as long as 3-4 years. If you never turn the PLC off, then the battery becomes useless anyways.

Most PLC's that have batteries will usually be good for 5-10 years (depending on how often & for how long they are powered down), for a PLC that is powered down for more than a few weeks the battery will probably last 6 months but a lot depends on the technology i.e. the drain on the battery, like as already posted, 1 year it is recommended to replace the battery. I have known systems that are rarely powered down to last 10 years plus.
Most PLC's also contain a large capacitor so in the event of a low battery it will retain it's memory for 10-20 minutes, things to keep in mind:
Replace batteries for example as a Planned maintenance say once a year, in the event of the battery low indicator (now this is a controversial one) replace the battery while the PLC is powered up, some PLC mfgr's recommend powering down & replacing within a few minutes, however, I have been replacing batteries for over 30 years & never power down (only once did I power down & lost the program), Never had any problems doing it this way. The best solution is always keep a copy of the program if possible just in case.

Most PLC's that have batteries will usually be good for 5-10 years (depending on how often & for how long they are powered down), for a PLC that is powered down for more than a few weeks the battery will probably last 6 months but a lot depends on the technology i.e. the drain on the battery, like as already posted, 1 year it is recommended to replace the battery. I have known systems that are rarely powered down to last 10 years plus.
Most PLC's also contain a large capacitor so in the event of a low battery it will retain it's memory for 10-20 minutes, things to keep in mind:
Replace batteries for example as a Planned maintenance say once a year, in the event of the battery low indicator (now this is a controversial one) replace the battery while the PLC is powered up, some PLC mfgr's recommend powering down & replacing within a few minutes, however, I have been replacing batteries for over 30 years & never power down (only once did I power down & lost the program), Never had any problems doing it this way. The best solution is always keep a copy of the program if possible just in case.

This ^^

Nothing to add.

On Rockwell PLCs, they have an indicator on the PLC letting you know to change the battery. Usually it's best to replace annually even if the indicator does not come on, but I've seen some go as long as 3-4 years. If you never turn the PLC off, then the battery becomes useless anyways.

I don't think I've ever come across a PLC that has never been powered down.

Read your manuals and routinely backup programs. Most PLCs I've encountered have an LED on the processor to denote battery status. Be careful ... on some, the light on means battery good, on others it means battery change needed. This works if you can see the processor. Some processors have an internal status bit that monitors the battery. This bit can be used in an active processor's program to trigger an HMI message, turn on a warning light etc.