HMI to Digital IO's without a PLC?

To OkiePC Here's a .txt file that is really a .cd3 file for Crimmson 3 .. Have fun figuring it out. Ya know.. what I would really love it if you could tell me how to convert the numeric hex data from a TAG sources to the ADAM-4055 remote D/IO module. You will see in "read" the entire DO register as a single 2-bit hex number such as "AB" which really means 10101011 (171)in binary. And the next 2-bit in the picture (green arrow) is the DO register: 03h or 00000011. The trick is to convert that data back to binary.. and display the results on the HMI, kije the module does with it's little LED's .. 'tho, not sure why the display them backwards... I guess they don't think of them as binary .. just a hex number. Are these ADAM modules made in Russia?

Anyway.. nI've tried to capture that data and re-define it as binary for another tag .. so far .. no success... sigh!

To OkiaPC .. A .cd3 file labeled .txt

Ver 18.1 Sept.txt

OkiePC.. good luck with this :) I'm having a great deal of trouble with this web site.. it's not intuitive. I had to go "advanced" to add the file.. but then it looked like it didn't load my explanation that went with the file.. I think it has.. there may be some redundant posts before this file shows up... sorry to all who have to slog thru this...

Looks like it failed.. (used a MAC last time.. this time I'll use a PC ... Here's a third attempt.. changing a real .cd3 file to .txt .. you change it back.. (can`t imagine why this would work)

And.. I just tried to change it to .txt on a PC... but, DUH.. no idea how to do that. the file type isn't in the name.. so it isn't editable. still looking... Nope, methinks more instruction from Steve would be appreciated ... :)

In windows most file extensions are not visible (and therefore editable) by default. You need to go into folder options and deselect 'hide extensions for known file types'

After renaming it Ver 18.1 Sept.cd3 I was able to open the file you posted in #33 using Crimson 3.0

WOOT!... Congratz!... now you have to answer my question about how to get the hex word of multiple 2-bit hex representing DI & DO registers... status indicated on the hmi page :) I already set at tag equal to the tag that reads the D/IO registers, an, called it numeric binary and 24 bits! .. and it worked! Unfortunately I have to live with ADAM's meaningless two bits that are always zero..(8 bits in binary!) sigh!... But, I am looking at a binary row of DO's and DI's (and a row of 8 zeroes that don't mean anything .. :) See photo

IMG_4305.jpg
soooo... how to get 16 tags, each equal to the data of the 24 bit binary word (where the last 8 bits are meaningless) to display some nice colored indicators for each register on the HMI page .. it's almost good enough just looking at the simple read from the READ DIO tag .. but sooo tacky

IMG_4305.jpg

Steve & OkiePC

I managed to map two-state flag tags to the binary tag "Read_DIO" which converts the tag that reads the status of D/IO in 2-bit hex "DioOut_Full_WORD" continuously from the ADAM-4055 module.
IMG_4309.jpg

Still no way to use the Driver to set a single DO without clearing the register.. because the driver talks to the module only in hex... so.. you can only set the entire register .. never a single bit... without the command #AAFF(data) ... that works using Advantech's Adam/Apax .Net Utility on your PC .. you can build the DO register one bit at a time... but the Red Lion driver basically says you can only built the register 8 bits at a time..

IMG_4309.jpg

I am lost.

Are you saying that you cannot toggle a bit in the DioOUT word and have it update the ADAM module?

So how are you getting it to update then?

I am lost.

Are you saying that you cannot toggle a bit in the DioOUT word and have it update the ADAM module?

So how are you getting it to update then?

That is correct... Oh, I can toggle (write to) a single bit.. but, if I do.. all the other bits that were ON.. in the ADAM register... go "off" , and I'm looking at only a new single bit, which I just toggled on.

The only command where I can toggle (write to) a single bit, without disturbing other bits status in the DO register, in the ADAM module, is #AABB(data) You have to review commands in the manual for "4000 series ADAM modules" (google) That command is not available in Red Lion's Driver for ADAM.

The OTHER way to update (without the CMD #AABB(data) is to send the entire word to the module and set all the bits in the DO register, at the same time. That's what I'm doing when I select a "Curve Address" like 171 .. converts to AB in hex, and binary .. which changes all the bits at the same time using that hex WORD.

According to the driver manual, that command is "#AA" .. Problem is that CMD #AA, is only for analog modules, not digital.. and I can't imagine how the driver is using it. You can only select commands from those offered in the Driver .. which was designed for many modules.

The Driver manual does list ADAM-4055 as an acceptable module.. but, I don't think the driver was designed for the 4055, if it doesn't have the #AABB CMD available...

Unless I can convince Red Lion Support to fix the driver.. methinks I'm screwed... sigh! :)

What command are you sending to set a single bit?

The command is #AABB(Data).
So to set a single output at address 15h
#151101(cr)
Where
15 - Address of unit
1- Set single output
1 - Output number 1
01 - Set output to 1

Hi Chelton Thanks for weighing in on this. You do see how this CMD works when sent via the Adam/Apax .Net Utilites software via a PC.. Your #151101 (cr) would cause the DO in module at address 15hex to set channel 1 True (DO#1) because you defined (data) to be O1 (true) and 00 would be false. You have total control of and DO ... turn it ON , or turn it OFF.. exactly what I need.

But I'm not using a PC to control this remote D/IO module. I'm Using only a rather cool HMI, by Red Lion .. if only they had added the #AABB(data) command to the driver software, which is available in Crimson 3.0 (The database software used for programing G3 series HMI's)

I don't know how to create CMD's in the HMI program section of the database. I suspect it's possible if you don't use the Driver. Might even be easier!

Simply code something for each Tag as you would in Virtual Basic .. which I also can't do... :-( You guested it... I'm not a Automation Engineer, I just play one in my barn.

Hi Chelton Thanks for weighing in on this. You do see how this CMD works when sent via the Adam/Apax .Net Utilites software via a PC.. Your #151101 (cr) would cause the DO in module at address 15hex to set channel 1 True (DO#1) because you defined (data) to be O1 (true) and 00 would be false. You have total control of and DO ... turn it ON , or turn it OFF.. exactly what I need.

But I'm not using a PC to control this remote D/IO module. I'm Using only a rather cool HMI, by Red Lion .. if only they had added the #AABB(data) command to the driver software, which is available in Crimson 3.0 (The database software used for programing G3 series HMI's)

I don't know how to create CMD's in the HMI program section of the database. I suspect it's possible if you don't use the Driver. Might even be easier!

Simply code something for each Tag as you would in Virtual Basic .. which I also can't do... :-( You guested it... I'm not a Automation Engineer, I just play one in my barn.

On your crimson program your flags of digital outs are using source MOD1 have you tried changing the source to "tag" and creating individual flags from the source tag?
4.png

Hi again... You really are thinking about this! That is exactly what I did to get the colored status indicators you see on the earlier photo.
Take a look at the PC showing the Input DI's ... I'm using a TAG & Little Endian. In Read only .. The real "reading" is being done buy CMD DioOut_Full_WORD ... I'm using CMD #AA to write to the individual bits.. But.. that's all in the driver .. you see the white Off's remain off even tho the status is on.

A side note; When I enter the "Curve Number" in digital (say 255) and hit enter on the data pad, for a split second all the WHITE OFF's snap to "ON" !... then back to OFF. very strange. only the colored indicators continue to read the DO status. Those little yellow flags mapped to that Read_DIO tag. (binary from the DioOut_Full_WORD Hex tag).

Again, the "write" to the DO's in the module (red flags), is using CMD #AA .. according to the driver's manual...which is not working. But It does write somehow.. because I'm mapping those flags (red) to the binary conversion tag (internal) in a program. Thus, writing the entire 8-bit DO word at the same time... Also if you turn those red flags into writable data on the page you can enter a 1 or 0 and that bit will change accordingly on the ADAM-4055... but then , all the rest go to off. To change a bit without messing up the other bits.. you gotta use #AABB(data) Or.... Figure out a way to create that CMD, and send it via an HMI Tag program

By the way.. Norm Gavin at Red Lion Support has helped me quite a bit.. now I have to talk him into adding the CMD #AABB(data) to the Driver... :)

Last edited:
Also if you're just looking at inexpensive options you might have to compromise on the gear you get

The cheaper ones are cheaper because you spend more engineering time on it as opposed to a standard screen that can be done and dusted in a few hours.

Have a look at a brand called Renu Electronics India Touch panels HMIs

I have seen a screen with a little programming capability and onboard io on the back of it and supports modbus /ethernet/serial and it's cheap.

I have seen prices as low as 300$ so knock yourself out.

Cheers