HMI to Digital IO's without a PLC?

Red Lion Reply to request fixing Driver

From Norm Galvin (Red Lion Support)
"I am not sure what you mean by "fix the driver". There is not a bug to fix that I am aware of.

If we determine there is a bug, and/or if you want to submit a feature request to add some new feature or capability, that would not be possible for a Kadet in Crimson 3.0. The Kadets models are obsolete, we have not sold them for several years. Crimson 3.0 is obsolete, we have not updated it in over 3 years."

There's more.. and we will get to it.. I must say I agree with him. I was amazed how much help one can get from RL support.. they are most likeley the best in the business. Yet, it's amazing how fast things become obsolete.

The RL driver issues are moot. I don't think the driver will fully support the ADAM-4055 without CMD #AABB(data) .. It's kinda essential. But, there may be a workaround .. Haven't given up yet.

chilton, you say you are new to Red Lion .. well, Crimson 3.0 is old stuff and G3 HMI's are Old Stuff .. But the Graphite HMI is amazing .. if you can afford it.. :)

Back to latest news: Just tested chilton's mod to our database. OMG! it works! On page two I press it once it changes that DO bit without interfering with the others... hit it again, and it changes it back. Wow... I'm gonna have to study this a while to understand what you did!

By the way... the pages you see in this Database are nothing like the final project pages. there will be command toggles to communicate with the LinMot linear motor drive to "Power up", "home", "error acknowledge" etc... the drive will also issue DO reply's like "homed" "in position" "error" etc.

I suspected the Red Lion had all the bells & whistles to do something like this.. It's impressive that chilton (who is new?) could figure this out.

Have you all noticed how many "views" this strange thread has, over 3500!

I'm curious, chilton, how did you "learn" Red Lion Hmi's?

Last edited:
Interesting glitch..

Moving on to the next phase, now that chilton has made a cool workaround for the failure to write to a single bit using a CMD form the Driver. I eagerly expanded the database to include two ADAM-4055 remote D/IO's.
I don't fully understand what chilton did to solve the problem; however, I tried to replicate it in the addition of the second module (on the left)
Do you see what's wrong with this picture?
Two Modules one problem.jpg

Two Modules one problem.jpg

Writing to both Modules OK .. But....

In this picture you can see that the reading of both modules status (CMD $AA6) is working great for all D/IO's ...

What isn't working is the actual status on the toggles for module #2 Outputs. The toggles work great for changing individual bits.. but there is no status indication. So Close.. :)

Module_2 all DO ON.jpg

Module_2 all DO ON.jpg

Hi Lamboom, I wouldn't say I've learnt Crimson. I have never used the hardware and after following this thread I spun up a VM and installed Crimson and just started playing. I'm glad you got it working on the first module.

Where you have made a block under the MOD driver for outputs, I would add another block for inputs and map internal flags for the Input and Output status.

Hi chelton There isn't any problem seeing the status for the inputs on both modules.. they are working fine.. It's just convenient to set DI_0&1 to ON.. with both modules. the problem is just getting the outputs to display status on the Toggles of writing to module #2"s outputs... The individual toggles write to both modules outputs just fine. Only the Output status isn't working on MOD2

I'm not sure how the "blocks" work.. must review in the Crimson manual, never used them before.. I may have made a mistake duplicating what you did for module one... Kinda strange that they are all indicating ON!

Had to show it to you. I assumed what you did for MOD1 would do the same for MOD2.. did I miss something... ?

Last edited:
Hope this works..TwoModules_1.4.txt

Thing to remember: Mod1 is working perfectly, in every regard, as desired. Mod2 is working also.. but never shows the status of it's DO's, other than ON... even tho you can write to MOD2's DO's using those toggles, and the HEX Status indicators (bottom-left of the HMI page) for all D/IO follow correctly for both modules.

Last edited: