Any shortcuts to Data/MasterCMD entry to CLogix PLC for Prosoft Modbus MVI56e-mcm

tarrant79

Hello,
I am pulling my hair out trying to setup Modbus Master Read/Write Commands on a Prosoft MVI56E-MCM attached to a Clogixs 1756-L82E PLC. It just seems completely 1990 that all the read/write commands are formatted like C. Meaning a Write MASTERCMD has a pointer to a WriteData[array] for the data, then a Cmd request# to the Slave Device. On top of this there is an ReadData[array] in a seperate memory space.

When your dealing with a dozen odd VFDs and like a Dozen+ CMD & Status read/writes per drive, its extrememly cumbersome, since from what I can tell RS Designer 5000 only allows 1 entry at a time (MasterCMD, WriteData, ReadData).

The best way Ive found of tracking all the info is EXCEL, but then of course in ABs infinite wisdom, they don't allow copy/importing multiple MasterCMDs or RegisterData from EXCEL to the PLC!!

So I don't know if anyone has found a better way of doing this, or has everyone just brute forced the data entry and dealt with the inevitable entry errors of the manual process??

Thanks, Any advise would be Phenomenal.

I don't know if it's feasible to replace the PS modules with something else but if you can (and are interested) you could look at the Spectrum Controls Universal Gateway. Assuming your PS ControlLogix module is acting as the Modbus RTU Master then this device will replace it and with it, there is no PLC programming needed other than creating tags to be read from and written to.
https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/products/universal-gateway/