Import/Export Tag Values in RSLogix 5000

Fast forward to 2020, .

Jeez, are you guys in Washington that relaxed ? It's 2021 already .... although to some of us it feels like 2020 got stuck, and it'll stay 2020 until things get back to normal in 2023 or 2024 .... I don't think "normal" will ever return, as we knew it ....

Fast forward to 2020, DDE is not supported any more in Windows 10. Is there no way to populate tag data without having to buy a RSLinx Classic license and using the OPC DA route? I don't want carpal tunnel...

A simple utility or just the ability to copy and paste multiple fields from Excel would suffice.

Excel can also do Sendkeys in VBA. I use that for writing address comments when online with a PLC that is storing the comments in the PLC (Because you cant do an import without having to download again). Basically does alt-tab to switch to Logix and starts writing the comments just like if you were doing a copy/paste.

Jeez, are you guys in Washington that relaxed ? It's 2021 already .... although to some of us it feels like 2020 got stuck, and it'll stay 2020 until things get back to normal in 2023 or 2024 .... I don't think "normal" will ever return, as we knew it ....
Well.... the issue began in 2020, so there's that. But I get it.

I just figured it out. I had to export a routine that contained the array I needed to populate in it, open the L5X in Notepad, copy the structure I wanted into Excel, fix the data values, copy back into the L5X and save, delete the old routine AND array, then import the new routine. It will generate a fully populated array and the code for the routine.

I'm telling you, I really did not want to populate 7000 data points manually.

For anyone that dabbles in Python, check into pycomm or pylinx. If you can get directly onto the PLC's network, you can read/write data pretty easily. I have a coworker who also just finished writing his own EIP driver that interfaces with Excel. It is way faster than OPC and works very well for our needs to load tens of thousands of configuration points.