Temperature control

karlsmith

Hello PLC community,

I'm looking for advice on a project that I'm going to do for the first time with a PLC (Siemens), the system is to do an hmi, temperature control via PID, the control is regulated by the flow of fuel, that's mean in intervention towards a control valve. for that we will have a control and supervision of the temperature.

Thanks

Your saying the temperature is controlled by metering the amount of fuel to the heating element?

Place a PID instruction in your logic with the analog output of the valve actuator as your control value.

Your missing a lot of information for real help. What processor, what hmi.

Is this an actual use case, or are you in school?

Hello PLC community,

I'm looking for advice on a project that I'm going to do for the first time with a PLC (Siemens), the system is to do an hmi, temperature control via PID, the control is regulated by the flow of fuel, that's mean in intervention towards a control valve. for that we will have a control and supervision of the temperature.

Thanks

Get yourself this starter pack from your local Siemens supplier:
https://www.parmley-graham.co.uk/automation/siemens/plc-s/s7-1200-basic-controllers/6av66517ka023aa4
That will get you a PLC, HMI and the software required.

Then watch some of Hegamurl's videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1P4ACs0hsr7AWcl-mWKQbQ/playlists
You need to know how to use analog inputs and outputs, how to setup the HMI and how to setup the PID itself. TIA portal also has an autotune which will open and close the valve, measure the response and set the control based on the results.

Your saying the temperature is controlled by metering the amount of fuel to the heating element?

Place a PID instruction in your logic with the analog output of the valve actuator as your control value.

Your missing a lot of information for real help. What processor, what hmi.

Is this an actual use case, or are you in school?

This is a real use case, once realized we would have real-time supervision.

Since you are monitoring FUEL, i suggest that you get a copy of NEC 70 - electrical code book, maybe nec70e - arc flash and i think it's nfpa496 - purging and pressurization of enclosures in a hazardous environment. it details what you need to do in explosive/flammable environments. Care must be taken to prevent a fire or explosion.
james

If you're a complete novice being asked to control a boiler or burner system, you need to take a large step back.

Burners and boilers and other industrial combustion systems are often more hazardous, and thus subject to more standards and regulations, than other industrial processes or machinery.

This is not a "PLC programming" question: it's an automated process question that almost certainly has a much larger safety aspect to it.

I sympathize that sometimes in developing countries a junior employee who doesn't even know what questions to ask about the process is nevertheless asked to do it.

But in my opinion you should not even start to think about PLC control until you understand the process, and its hazards, and the regulations, principles, and codes that should be applied to do it properly.

I agree with you Ken Roach, I'm not ready to have it installed, I'm studying it, I know i must to constantly try and test it to get to the point of installing it in real life, so I need a lot of experience to get access to this kind of process.