Slightly OT: Electronic roadsigns

Near Mt. Rainer.. humm.

The local ISA section had a tour of the DOT's control center last year. The folks there were mostly UW civil engineering students. One of these days I expect one of the big I-405 sign will say "We stop for all animals except cougar"

OT from the OT

As LED traffic lights spread across the land, I can't be the only one to notice the appalling sync at the transitions (red-to-amber etc). I could see why a bit of anticipatory craftiness would give a dip-free transition with incandescents, but the sync-ing on many of the LED sets is just plain loose. Having said that, some of them definately dim out -Friday afternoon pwm pranks? And another thing: the necessary pulsing of all these solid state displays, signals, car lights, bus signs, etc, drives me nuts! It was fun to spot the occasional led tail lights by their tell-tale strobing, but now they ALL do it. OK, so you only really notice it when your eyes pan across, but I tend not to stare at a fixed point when driving! There, got that off my chest...