RSLinx setup for USB to RJ45 adapter

neilm

Hello everyone,

I have to connect to an old PLC firmware (V13 of Flexlogix). This requires a Hyper-V (Microsoft owned) Windows XP Virtual Machine on my laptop. The problem is the VM only accepts ethernet port inputs on my laptop. I have a USB to RJ45 converter. Please check the attachment for reference. Is it possible to connect in this way? If so any suggestions on the RSLinx settings?

Thank you.

Your image doesnt show. Take note of the size limitations when posting attachments.

Anyway, some quick searches on the www reveals that with Hyper-V it is indeed not possible to pass-through USB devices from the host to the VM.
That is a serious limitation IMO. Maybe you should consider VMware or Virtualbox ?

You cannot configure the laptop so you can go online with the PLC via the hosts Ethernet port ?
If you need access to the company/office network at the same time, maybe you can use the wifi for that purpose. That is how I do.
With VMware I can connect a USB-ethernet adapter if I need to, but usually it is not necessary.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the HyperV doesn't communicate with the USB port that's why I am trying to interface it with a USB to RJ45 adapter. Unfortunately, the PLC is in an isolated network. I attached the new image of USB to RJ45 adapter. Any other workarounds you think are possible?

USBToRJ45Converter.jpg

I thought that you intended to connect like this:
RSLogix (VM) -- VM Host USB port -- USB Device to Ethernet adapter -- PLC Ethernet port

But I think that the device in your picture creates a virtual USB Host port via Ethernet.
So I think what you intend to do is:
RSLogix (VM) -- VM Host Ethernet port --- Ethernet-to-USB Host adapter --- PLC as USB device

No idea if that is possible or not. I am guessing maybe yes. There should be some kind of driver or software that comes with the Ethernet-to-USB Host adapter, and you should install the driver and/or software in the VM for it to get access to the virtual USB port.
Exactly waht make and type is the device on the picture ?

Apart from that, since all CLX PLCs have Ethernet on-board, why not go online via Ethernet ?

I'm not sure that the device in that picture does what you think it does. I've seen a lot of very small USB/Ethernet "dongles" but they all have a male USB-A plug and an RJ-45 socket, not the other way around.

Are you sure there's anything but wires inside that connector ? Similar products on Amazon have descriptions and reviews that are gibberish. One helpful product description shows this used to allow you to substitute a special USB-A/USB-A extender cable for an Ethernet cable, which is a bizarre way to avoid using an actual Ethernet cable.

I think you need an actual USB Ethernet network interface, which will show up in your host Windows OS as an Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC).

I'd agree that that "object" doesn't look like it will do what is being expected of it?

Let's step back a second to the controller here...

On the FlexLogix, are you connecting from the built-in RS-232 port on the front of the controller, or have you a communications card installed, such as an Ethernet 1788-ENBT?

If you have an ENBT card then you can go straight Ethernet-to-Ethernet back to your laptop. But it "sounds" like you don't?

If you are coming from the RS-232 port on the controller, then are you attempting to first use an RS-232/USB adapter and then a USB cable to the USB/RJ-45 adapter, all in the hope that it will have "converted" to Ethernet at your laptop? I don't think that will work, looking at the device in your photo?

To get from the RS-232 serial port on the controller, which uses the DF1 protocol, you may be best using a serial to Ethernet converter that passes the DF1 protocol successfully. This way avoiding any USB interfacing. The default product Rockwell would have advised for this would have been the 1761-NET-ENI. This product is now discontinued, but you can still source them on the aftermarket. ProSoft also do a nice replacement option to directly replace this converter...

Need a 1761-NET-ENI Replacement?

That's if I'm reading what you're trying to do here correctly?

Regards,
George

Ken, that is impressive that you found that device.
Going by the 4 grooves on the side, it is probably exactly the same as the one in neilm's photo.
Just a dumb adapter that connects the pins on either side.
If you connect that thingamabob to an ethernet port on one side, and a USB device on the other side, does it go poof !?

Thanks everyone for the reply-
Jesper - It's an unrecognized brand. The Flexlogix has only a RS-232 port as a spare. Just tried a Pendrive, didn't even recognize.
Geospark - Yes, you interpreted it correctly.
Ken - Thanks for the link.
This was just an attempt to connect at a low cost. Looks like I'll have to order 1761-NET-ENI.

I have used USB/RS232 converters to connect to FlexLogix and other Logix-family controllers that have RS-232 ports since the late 1990s.

The one I favor is the Keyspan/Tripplite USA-19HS. It's not the cheapest on the market, but I have had very good results far in excess of the extra $10-$20 it costs over a generic unit.

A 1761-NET-ENI (or one of the equivalents from PLCCables, Spectrum Controls, or Real Time Automation) will be suitable for permanent connection of the controller to an enterprise network, but for casual connection a serial cable will do.

As far as I unerstand, the problem with Hyper-V is that you actually cannot pass through a USB device fro the host to the VM.

If the Flexlogix only has an RS232 port, what has the USB/RJ45 adapter got to do with all this ??

Anyway, if it is really about how to get online with a Flexlogix via serial RS232, cant you pass through a serial port on the laptop to the VM ?
According to this it should be possible:
https://www.serial-server.net/com-port-in-virtual-machine.html#Hyper-V

I use VMWare specifically because I can connect USB devices to the virtual machine, and run the guest OS drivers for them.

Fortunately an ordinary asynchronous Windows COM port is something that HyperV can pass from the host to a virtual machine, even though it takes an extra step and some utility software to make the named pipe -> COM port jump.

That Serial-Server.net website appears up to date and an excellent resource; thanks, JesperMP.

This Eltima software site suggests there's a native way to access the Host OS resources, but I don't use HyperV so I can't say how it works:

https://www.eltima.com/com-port-in-virtual-machine/#hyperv

JesperMP said:
...If the Flexlogix only has an RS232 port, what has the USB/RJ45 adapter got to do with all this ??...

Seeing as I've been informed that my reading of the attempted communications is correct; I believe I would also be correct in saying that the reason for the RJ-45 adapter at the laptop end of things was a rather hopeful effort to present RS-232 DF1 serial "converted" data to the laptop's Ethernet port. All because, as we were informed...

neilm said:
...the VM only accepts ethernet port inputs...

It was hoped the "RJ-45" endowed gadget "spoke" Ethernet. It appears to be just another example of Registered Jack Standard 45 being used on a device and being mistaken as automatically supporting Ethernet, just because the "shoe fits".

Analogous to speed - my bicycle has two wheels, buy it ain't no motorcycle!

I would definitely agree Ken that the ENI or equivalent could be overkill and over priced if a permanent connection is not required here. Another aspect of this task we should probably be seeking clarification on?

Also, before we get too excited about using an actual serial port - at this stage we've come to realise the available controller port. So, perhaps next we should find out what laptop ports are actually available?

If Ethernet really is the only flavour this laptop can satisfy the VM with, then perhaps a rethink on the VM platform might be in order?

G.