Micrologix to Sureservo

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on different ways I can set up a Modbus topology for the comm's.
I have 2 different cables from AD that can go to the drives, One is 6 pin IEEE
to RJ12 and the other is 6 pin IEEE to tinned ends. I would prefer the RJ12
ended cables and use a ziplink breakout board (also AD) My problem is tring to
find the pinout requirements to go from 8 pin mini DIN (Micrologix 1400) for
Channel 0 to use with the Automation Direct SVC-232RJ12-CBL-2
If any one has suggestion I would appreciate. I have looked up the pinouts for the various AB cables used for the 8 pin mini din as well as a post here using a
1763 NC01 cable to the tinned end IEEE cable and I come up with conflicting pinouts from the Mini DIN.
Still working together-6 feet apart- Thanks

I could use Channel-2 and set up for Modbus RTU Master then use a DB9 connector
I was trying to get away from the tinned ends route to use one of the Ziplink blocks
available with plug in cables to the drives, since there are several drives, One of the drive cables they offer is IEEE (drive end) and a RJ12 (Ziplink module end) they offer the ziplink modules with different configurations such as teminal strip to all the parallel RJ12 Plugs
I would still need the pin out for the comm's on the DB9 from the 1400. Doing my reading it looks like the 1400 only uses 2 wires for the comm's, TX & RX then on the sure servo side the (TX- RX-)& (TX+ RX+) are together
the

Either cable will do I just need to find the RX & TX on the AB 1400 side
Thanks for the response

Channel 0
Micrologic-1400-Channel-0-pinout.png

Channel 2
Micrologic-1400-Channel-2-pinout.png

The best way to connect non-AB cables to the RS-485 pins on Channel 0 of the MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 is to use the 1763-NC01 terminal breakout cable.

RS-485 always uses A, B, and GND. On the MicroLogix 1400's Channel 0 serial port, those are pins 8, 1, and 2.

I do not recommend using the Channel 0 port for a multi-drop connection to a VFD or servo system, because it is non-isolated, and servo and VFD systems generally are a substantial source of electrical noise.

If this were my system, I would use an RS-232/485 isolating converter on Channel 1, which is an ordinary DTE-style RS-232 DB9 port with Rx, Tx, and GND on pins 2, 3, and 5.

It costs a little more, but your probability of noise-related comms problems will be substantially reduced.

Thanks
I see a lot of different ones out there, do you have a preferred one to recommend