not input coming from transducer 1746 NIC4 module.

euipfacil

Well guys I'm back again with more problems. I have a Slc 503 with a 1746 NIC4 analog input module...OK problem; I have a 4 to 20 ma "known good" transducer hook up but do not get any signal back to PLC. It may not be wired correctly but I don't have manual for the card. I have checked to make sure that the dip switches are in the right position for current, I have even went as far as to change out another sensor but doesn't work. does anyone know where I can find a setup manual for the card? I tried the AB website but all I find there are cumbersome hours of trying to get my search perfected. Thanks in advance!
LR

Are you sure about that module number? Double check, if it is the 1746-NI4 then see pic below and link to the manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um005_-en-p.pdf

NI4wiring.jpg

euipfacil said:
Yeah you are right I fat fingered the module number. I don't have the unused inputs jumpered or an earth ground on the shield. That may be the problem. Thanks for the reply.
LR

All that would do is help with any noise problems it should not stop you from seeing data.
If you are still having issues post your .rss file( zip it first) and someone can help from there.

Also make sure that the modules dips switches are set properly for current input. See the manual Mickey linked for settings.

Make sure you power down the PLC before removing the module to check the DIP switches.

I checked and double checked the dip switches and they are right! I also checked the connections and made sure they were right. I took the card out put it in another plc which reads a thermocouple and verified it is not damaged. I am using A Danfoss MSD 3050 pressure transducer 4 to 20 MA 3 wire config. I put 24VDC on the Red wire 0VDC on the white and placed the yellow wire on the input...I get nothing. I jumpered the unused inputs as suggested by the manual and connected 0VDC to the common terminal on the module. I am curious as to whether the transducer is applicable for this module or if maybe it needs a resistor to get within the MA range. I don't know at this point I am reaching for anything. I tried the transducer on another machine and it works well (Different application, proprietary controller). Help! I'm sinking.
LR

The MBS 3050 (is this the correct # ? I couldn't find anything else close) is a 2 wire loop powered device:

http://ic.danfoss.com/ra/Products/ProductCatalogue.asp?BA=&Division=IC&HL=4&HLID=68&AppID=&selectedTab=LI

http://ic.danfoss.com/ra/Products/ProductCatalogue.asp?BA=&Division=IC&HL=4&HLID=68&AppID=&selectedTab=LI#

Apply your DC P/S +24vdc (loop power) to the (+) (pin 1) of the sensor and the (-) wire of the sensor to the analog input IN 0+. Take your 24vdc P/S return (0v)to the analog IN 0- .

As noted above, is this a MBS 3050? If so the 4 to 20 ma configuration is two wire voltage is three wire . see pic below

TwoWire.jpg

You have an external 24 Volt power supply?
Are you using single ended or differential wiring.
AB sure make their manuals dificult to read, a simple schematic of the internals showing all the relevent resistors and dip switches would be too easy to understand.
Roy

Yep your right! I thought the same. I am using an external power supply with differential wiring. I think I had it right at one point but didn't have my circuit grounded. I'll try again tomorrow and feed back some info once I figure it out. I feel like I have a simple wiring problem that I just haven't been able to put my fingure on. This is a system we took out of another machine in North America and installed in an identicle machine in China. So been catching heck getting it off the ground.