Alternative to using PIC to communicate with rs232 panelview

I think you may encounter other problems besides the pic if you leave service pack 3 on your computer.

I can't tell you exactly what, because I don't know, but we had to remove it, and we don't use the pic to which you refered

I think you may encounter other problems besides the pic if you leave service pack 3 on your computer.

I can't tell you exactly what, because I don't know, but we had to remove it, and we don't use the pic to which you refered

All of our computers are running SP3 and they work fine.

The problem appears to have been with which version of the SP3 install you are running. There are (at least) two versions: the one that auto-installs via windowsupdate, and the one that you can download from the windows website. The auto-update version appears to have been buggy. If you manually download from windows, it seems to work fine.

this definitely works. that is what I was going to recommend.

>>Or get a laptop with a real serial port ( without SP3 of course) and use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx with a straight thru cable.

Thanks for all of the info, for me I think the best option is to buy the USB to serial adaptor. I don't think my I.T. guy will agree to monkey around with the Serinum.sys file. I am afraid that would violate company policy.

A USB to serial adapter will not work with DH485 protocol.

If you mean the 1747-UIC, which is a USB to DH485 converter then that will work.