Stahl Remote I/O I.S 1+ /AB Control Logix

nuflia

I am just wondering if anyone has ever used R.STAHL Remote I/O I.S 1+ with Rockwell AB Control-Logix 1756-L71,
Due to the difficulty of running conventional Multi-core cables , cable ladder , racks and huge cost , i think using the Remote I.S 1+ from stahl will be the best option,
I know the Control logix supports class 1 I/O messaging and it would be no issue mapping all I/O ,

Last edited:
I think there is a point where it makes sense, but you need to account for COMPEX trained installers, someone to do the Intrinsically safe design and the equipment will be more expensive than usual... I'm not saying that it's straightforward, but it's certainly not cheaper for low signal count.

Stahl seems to communicate via EthernetIP... so it should be simple.

I think there is a point where it makes sense, but you need to account for COMPEX trained installers, someone to do the Intrinsically safe design and the equipment will be more expensive than usual... I'm not saying that it's straightforward, but it's certainly not cheaper for low signal count.

Stahl seems to communicate via EthernetIP... so it should be simple.

Thanks for the reply , much appreciated
No problem for the installation , we use component contractor who have had lots of experience in electrical and instrument installation in hazardous area and CompEx trained and certified,
for the design I have done may projects , but NOT Ex remote I/O ,
The reason for thinking of using remote Ex I/O is the cost , new cable ladders and racks to run the conventional multi-core cables could cost 30K plus the installation, not included the Hardware due to the nature of site and control room being a bit far from the field instruments, i am sure the cost of the remote EX I/O would be a lot cheaper ..

Last edited:
In that case it would be and in some instances definitely simplify the IS installation as you may run into capacitance issues and have to change equipment.

In that case it would be and in some instances definitely simplify the IS installation as you may run into capacitance issues and have to change equipment.
I am not sure what you mean by capacitance issue. Reading through stahl documents all I/O would be powered through the bus rail and all instruments are intrinsically safe instruments , the field bus would be through certified optical intrinsically safe through fiber optic to the-control Logix,there is no long run cables , all field instruments are closer to the io modules
Thanks

Last edited:
Something like this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...onLinear.pdf&usg=AOvVaw06uJD9_DIqWaYPAmq2HCex

These calculations as well as conditions for use and installation need to be put down on a document called Intrinsically Safe System Certificate and need to be maintained throughout the life of the system (as well as the equipment information).

Depending on the size, importance and in the event of an accident, Mr. HSE can request these documents to assess the installation is according to rules. You can imagine that when HSE is involved, there are no winners just people that lose less than others.

This is likely not to be the case, but when using Exe junction boxes, it is also often forgotten to prove that the temperature rating will not be compromised by the power dissipated in the contacts.
All of these are fairly well indicated in EN 60079... I would have to review it to tell you which precise chapters this is in though.