connect laptop to Mitsubishi via GOT

Rik C&I

Hi, I would like to connect my laptop to a Mitsubishi FXCPU via the GOT serial port. I can connect using the FX-USB-AW converter if plugging into the PLC round pin port, but would like to be able to connect via the GOT so I don't need to unplug the screen to monitor the ladder etc. Thus far have not had any success via the GOT and would appreciate any suggestions. (Been using a standard usb/232 converter).
I'm not familiar with Mitsubishi, hence the problem I guess!

Mitsubishi comms1.jpg

Last edited:
What are you plugging into the GOT with? Usually it is either a usb cable in the front or Ethernet through the back....looks like you are still set up to communicate via serial.

There are no front connectors. On the rear there are two usb, one serial and an ethernet port (other than the one used by the GOT, which connects it to the plc). The plc does not have an ethernet port/card, so I guess I can't use the GOT ethernet port. The HMI is an E1071 if this helps.
I have tried to use a usb to rs232 converter to connect via the GOT. Tried various baud rates, 9600, 19200, 115.2k.

Last edited:
E1071 is not GOT. It is HMI that Beijer was making for Mitsubishi, so called "E series". It doesn't support this option.
I would recommend you to replace it with GOT2000 as it is obsolete.

Last edited:
You can use passthrough with the E series HMI, you need to go to the settings in E-designer for the HMI and make sure the 2nd (232) port has the pass through mode selected.
In E-designer open up the project and click on Peripherals this opens up the ports and drag the passthrough mode to the 2nd port (232) this allows the PLC to be programmed via the HMI
EDIT: It is called transparent mode.

passthrough.png

Parky,
You are right if he is using E-Designer, but it is not installed as default. With GOTs it is already supported.

Well I just loaded GTworks and it shows CH1 as default and all greyed out, however, by ticking the box it allows you to change the channel No.
Never used it yet though.

Transparent.jpg

It must be my language barrier, as English is not my native language.
GOTs can use transparent mode, and without any additional setting, GOTs can connect to FX/Q/L/iQF/iQR. I've personally used this function many times, as most GOTs have frontal mini USB port. Even if you do not program it, you can connect with GxWorks2/GxWorks3/GxDeveloper/Gx IEC Developer to PLC by GOT HMI using only mini USB port.
On other side, you can't connect in that manner to PLC through E series HMI without previously configuring HMI with E Designer.

It Depends, On my E-Designer it automatically puts in the transparent mode so when downloaded to the HMI it will work, however, if the original programmer put some other function on Com 2 then it will not be set by default.
This is usually at the most common Baud rate etc.

you can connect via Ethernet or 232 or 422 so I/F1, IF2 or Ethernet but obviously not on the same port as the PLC is connected. so if connecting an FX on Port 1 (422) then you can put the transparent mode on either 232 or Ethernet. although I have not tried Ethernet myself using GX of any version. I have connected a data logger via the Ethernet port in transparent mode though. I have also mapped data in an FX to SLC505 and vice versa using the Ethernet port.
Not sure about the Ethernet I will try it as transparent via GX although you may need a virtual port i.e. map ethernet to a virtual port say Com3.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts, I'll have a look and see if we have the E-designer SW (I have IQ works, but have not explored all the options as yet).

Mitsubishi used to buy or manufacture the E series off Beijer and re-badge them, then Mitsubishi either fell out with them or decided to go it alone so came up with the GOT Certainly GTWorks for the Got cannot be used for the E series, suggest if you can get it get at least V7.4.
Personally, I preferred the Beijers the software was cheap circa £90 and so easy to use with lots of functionality if you knew how to use them.

Personally, I preferred the Beijers the software was cheap circa £90 and so easy to use with lots of functionality if you knew how to use them.

My experience with GOTs and E Series is that, E Series with graphic screen is more likely to malfunction when is cca 8-12 years old and GOT just doesn't fails. GOT's are replaced when touch screen became so opaque from touching and there are no more spare parts to order, or spare parts are costing as new GOT.
Also I do not like speed of E Series, but I do like that there were always models which had touch capability and keys.