You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
PLBoudette
United States

Wonderware DAServer on Virtural Machine

Has anyone tried accessing remotely to a DA server on a virtual machine?

For instance:
PC 1 - Main PC running Windows 8. VM using VMWare Player running WindowsXP. VM has Wonderware application with DAServer connected to PLC via network.

PC 2 - Wonderware application on network trying to access DAServer on VM via Access Name-->Node Name-->IP address of server.

My example is much more complicated (long story) but basically I'm wondering if you can access the DAServer on a VM and if so, how?
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2
xC0MMAND0x
United States

I just did this exact same thing yesterday, so yes you can.

The first thing I would check is to make sure your PC2 on your "network" can communicate with your VM.

Is your VM set to "bridge mode" so it acts as if it's connected to the same network your Host machine is on? That will likely be the simplest thing to do. Make sure if you set a static IP in your VM that you don't mess with anything on your main network.

I hope that makes sense. Throw more details' at me and I'll throw a more detailed solution back to you.
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
The Plc Kid
United States

The same way you would on a physical server /PC. The application and OS does not know it's on a VM.

You can write your app to detect if it's running in a VM for licensing purposes but very few people do it and I don't think WW is one of them.

Yes, training is expensive - but ignorance is where the REAL money is .Ron Beaufort

Some jobs start out best with a Sawzall and a Dumpster on casters. OkiePC
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
xC0MMAND0x
United States

WW does optimize their solution(s) for virtual environments. Here is a good reference for those interested.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/tech...m-Platform.pdf
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
PLBoudette
United States

xCOMMANDOx, that did it. Changed VM to "bridged mode", reconfigured IP addresses appropriately, and she started humming. Thanks so much for the help.
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
xC0MMAND0x
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLBoudette View Post
xCOMMANDOx, that did it. Changed VM to "bridged mode", reconfigured IP addresses appropriately, and she started humming. Thanks so much for the help.
No problem! At my work we have our networking setup so that we all have our own private third octet, so we can maintain our own network.

EX: 10.20.X.Y

Where "X" is individually assigned to persons within our company and Y whatever I set my machines to.

Host machine - 10.20.129.1
VM1 - 10.20.129.2
VM2 - 10.20.129.3
VM3 - 10.20.129.4
etc.

All bridged with 255.255.0.0 subnet. I have a nice excel sheet with all of my VM names IP addresses, OS, software versions installed etc etc.
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xC0MMAND0x View Post
No problem! At my work we have our networking setup so that we all have our own private third octet, so we can maintain our own network.

EX: 10.20.X.Y

Where "X" is individually assigned to persons within our company and Y whatever I set my machines to.

Host machine - 10.20.129.1
VM1 - 10.20.129.2
VM2 - 10.20.129.3
VM3 - 10.20.129.4
etc.

All bridged with 255.255.0.0 subnet. I have a nice excel sheet with all of my VM names IP addresses, OS, software versions installed etc etc.

Do you have an example of it you could share? I am trying to do the same thing for virtual machine. The network guy gave us much of nothing. My email is Tim_Ganz@yahoo.com
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum