Panel view log in data logger

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
I currently work at a cheese plant that is panel view intensive (PVPLUS 6"s-7's). I have been tasked with coming up with a log in historian that records who logs in, what time they logged, which panel they logged from. I am looking for ideas as to how to do this, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps PLC based or network PC based........or maybe there is more advanced security features in Panel view I am unaware of ( saw some interesting ME features ).

These are the groups currently/users use name to log in

production A
maintenance B
production super B
e&i C
manager C

You can configure a PV to log all diagnostic messages to an ODBC data source.

In FT View Studio go to Tools and Diagnostic Setup. From there you can specify an ODBC Database, Data Source, and Table. Of course the PanelView has to be able to reach that data source. You can configure all PVs to write to that same data source. Give them separate tables or combine them all into the same table.

You can also log this locally on the PV and then trigger a CSV export but that would be a clunky process.

OG

If you don't already have an existing database, you'll need to create an ODBC Data Source. That can be a little tricky if you aren't familiar with the procedure.

If you go to YouTube and search for "create odbc data source" you'll see several videos that walk through this.

OG

I did a similar thing at my facility.
We had issues with someone turning off (bypassing) part inspection cameras.
This led to all kinds of issues.
I was tasked with creating a spread sheet every day that contained the user, the item bypassed, and the station it was bypassed on, the part that was in the station as well as the time the event occurred.

I trapped all this data in a couple arrays within the plc for that line/machine.
I built an excel spread sheet that reads all my plant PLCs, color codes and separates the different lines/stations and then the excel program writes a 1 to a clear bit and the PLC clears itself.

I have the excel program export the spreadsheet as a webpage (to prevent editing) and saves it to the shared drive.
This is running on an old thin client that the IT department was going to destroy. It sits in a corner of my desk and generates this report, daily at 430 am.

Server management team archives the reports every 6 months.
The reports are small, and don't take up much server space.

Id like to come up with a better way of doing this, but this way cost us nothing but my time.

If your good with excel and have a rslinx oem, this might be a starting point until you can get other options to work.
It took me about a week to get excel vba to work the way I wanted, but all the information I needed was available either here, or stack overflow.