Please adive me on my job. I am still fresh

bornwild

Hey all

I hope you all are having good day. Well, to begin with I graduated in 2009 in Electronics and instrumentation degree, found job in 2010 after so much struggle . Currently i am in maintenance department. When i started working i had no idea about programming plcs.I learnt everything at work and still learning. I feel my job does not make me learn as much as i should be learning . I mean only when there is breakdowns i get to experience stuff . The remaining time i try to read manuals and read various forums. I want to move on. Get into some project company. I earn peanuts here but i joined just to learn and now i feel i am not getting any of the two (experience and money). Please if some one has a job for me or any advice what should i do ? I would be really grateful.

Sounds like you are board... why don't you try to improve your job, make improvements to save the company money, automate equipment, cut cost (energy) all of these should get you more money and maybe a better position at your job or you could also go back to school or even start up your own automation company

Do you mean a bit stiff.. :D

Like us Brits with the upper lip.. :ROFLMAO:

I think he meant bored. Which takes us off into other tangents ie to drill a hole is to bore it. So if one is bored then does that make him full of holes or just holy?

So if one is a holy man does that mean he is bored?

Dan Bentler

I have the same experience as you were, I graduated Instrumentation Tech here in the Philippines last October 2010. Got my first work as Service Technician of Mettler Toledo Scales. Resigned last February and got my work as automation programmer in a rolling mill.
As of my Experience, I also feel bored, but I have to WORK, enjoy it. so that I can overcome the boredom. Impress your Boss, yet, be Humble. Learn from scratch, every trouble you encounter serves a new learning.

With these, you improve yourself and your knowledge so that if there's a new opportunities ( I mean Higher Offers) it will be easy for you to grab it..

GoodLuck friend!

do you have any "spare" equipment to practice on? ... it's hard to experiment with the company's production gear - but if you can put together a small training room, that's the best way to learn ...

maybe the boss could be talked into stocking a spare processor, chassis, power supply, etc. for emergency use ...

try going through your company's existing program files - and look for things that are confusing or hard to understand ... pick those apart piece by piece - learning as you go ...

are there any tech schools around there that you could attend? ... even if you already KNOW all of the material being covered, sometimes taking a class is a good way to meet other people who are involved in automation areas ... specifically, many schools have an "employment" program that might be helpful in identifying future opportunities ...

You are getting close to the point where Ron's (Sir Ron ??) advice will start getting some results.

Take a look at plant machinery and how it is operated. What is left running on weekend and doing nothing but using power?? Example air compressors
1. How much air is lost in leaky connections (look at load unload sequence and delivery pressure gage)
2. No one in plant and compressor running just to chase leaks?
3. Auto drain devices for either steam or compressed air - how many are leaking?
4. Install water cooled after coolers. What can you use the warmed water for??

How many 1 kW space heaters are left running under desks all weekend?

Potential VFD applications - one needs to be careful doing this - but there can be significant power savings on centrifugal pumps and fans. You MUST know the operating characteristics and demand / usage on the pump etc to really get this right so takes some study and caution.

For PLC if you can set up a demo rig at work. If not find a class and use their equipment or do it at home using light bulbs to indicate load. Small motors can be used to simulate big ones.
Dan Bentler

hmm

bornwild why you don't try any job in automation system house those company who provide installation and commission's of automation tools,sir leitmotif and sir Ron Beaufort sir i have also done my engg. in 2010 with electronics and instrumentation and then i have joined a job oriented automation training institute from where i get trained for pls and automation tool but after compleatin my training i get the job in a training plc (programming and scada ) sir please provide me guidance for my future in automation ,currently i am getting 12000 indian rupee which is about equal to 220$

OK so you are not challenged in your present position.
You told us what you do NOT want to do.
We gave you some thoughts. So you tell us
What do YOU want to do?

Dan Bentler

It's like the old joke
There's a story, perhaps apocryphal, about legendary pianist Arthur Rubinstein who was approached in the street near New York's world-famous Carnegie Hall by someone who asked, "Pardon me sir, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" To which Rubinstein replied, "Practice, practice, practice!"

Get a plc and leads and software and practice practice practice.

Everyone of the pro's on here did this at work and at home for a long time.

I agree.

Need lots of practis ....!!! That will come with experiance and your motivation to learn.

I had experiance in automation field nearly about 2.5 years, but frankly
speaking i am also sometime easily lost.

In first company, i was at commissioning and applicaiton site and now, i am working with another company only in research in automation.

So, it's not so easy for me. But still i am lerning this as i have already total experiance all togehter nearly 4 years.

I will say only one thing. Be foucsed and never loose your faith.
Never give up...!!!

You can find plenty of people who can always help you.

All the best !!

...I earn peanuts here but i joined just to learn and now i feel i am not getting any of the two (experience and money)....
Question is: what do you call peanuts? When I started out I didn't even earn enough to rent a place of my own so I had to stay at home with my parents for the first 5 years. Nowadays youngsters here leave school thinking they will be able to buy a house within the next two years. Expectations aren't always realistic. Comparing wages is also very difficult because living conditions are very different depending where you live.

Regards,

I started doing oil field automation and expanded myself into the PLC/Networking/Radio/anything with blinking lights guru to keep myself busy. Take that US economy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I starting applying for jobs. I know learning takes time. I think i should be patient. Well, actually my seniors are rude and selfish ,they don't help me .They always want to be in the limelight so i am all alone.

I will try and buy plcs from ebay and do my best. Also if some one has any graduate jobs here. Please let me know. Thanks.