Download to Micro820 from Linux

deja_jerde

I'm a developer for a company supplying software to manufacturers that use Allen Bradley Micro820 PLCs. We often need to re-program the PLCs while they are on site, which can be a very painful process. We need to connect CCW to the PLCs over a VPN (which often does not give us access to the plant floor).

Is there an easier way to do this?

We do have a Linux server on site with guaranteed access to the PLCs. But I have not been able to find a way of using this.

You can try running it inside Wine, but I doubt it would work.

I haven't heard of anyone successfully getting any of the AB software to work in Linux, not to say that someone somewhere hasn't figured it out. I would just use a VM within Linux and do it that way.

I'm a developer for a company supplying software to manufacturers that use Allen Bradley Micro820 PLCs. We often need to re-program the PLCs while they are on site, which can be a very painful process. We need to connect CCW to the PLCs over a VPN (which often does not give us access to the plant floor).

Is there an easier way to do this?

We do have a Linux server on site with guaranteed access to the PLCs. But I have not been able to find a way of using this.

If there is someone on site willing to unzip files to a MicroSD card and plug it into the PLC, you could use the MicroSD load new programs:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2080-um005_-en-e.pdf

Starts on page 107.

You might be able to tunnel through the Linux server to the PLC. You can either use the SSH options -L or -R, or something like OpenVPN (I think that is the name; it has been some time since I used it).

The basic idea is to forward a port on the PLC to the same port on the Linux server, and connect directly to the Linux server. I have no idea if it would work with PLCs, but Ethernet/IP is really only TCP to port 44818 and UDP to port 2222. I have done stuff like that before, but the UDP might be a deal-breaker without a custom configuration or on the Linux server cf. here.

Team Viewer has a VPN built in and it has been successfully used to connect to Omron PLCs if that will help at all. If you want the instructions let me know and I will post them for you.

Team Viewer has a VPN built in and it has been successfully used to connect to Omron PLCs if that will help at all. If you want the instructions let me know and I will post them for you.

Ooh, this is nice: Teamviewer to the Linux server, then run a Windows VM on the linux server to communicate with the Micro820.

Ooh, this is nice: Teamviewer to the Linux server, then run a Windows VM on the linux server to communicate with the Micro820.
Does the Linux server support TeamViewer VPN?
If so, then no VM should be required as all that is needed is the IP routing from the ‘WAN’ adaptor to the local adaptor.

Note:
This method requires a ‘WAN’ NIC & LAN NIC, either of which can be a wireless network.