Cannot Connect to Micro820 after Download

jakeparsons03

I have a micro820 in the field that I downloaded to yesterday. It said it was downloading the ethernet settings (even though they did not change) and ever since then I can't connect to it, I can't ping it and it doesn't come up in the ARP table. The Run light is solid and the ENET light is solid. My IP address is on the same network as what I thought the PLC is on.

I hooked up a little IP Explorer to it and it cannot find an IP address for the unit. I also tried to give it an IP address through DHCP because I figured maybe it reverted back and it wont accept one. Rockwell's boot tool cannot find it (as usual).

I called Rockwell, they remoted in, checked all of my settings, checked wireshark and just threw up their arms. Has anyone ran into an issue where a PLC just refuses to communicate or even be seen after a download?

I tried giving it an IP address through the SD Card slot with the following:

[PM]
[IPA=192.168.150.10]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.150.1]
[END]

and it did not take it.

Last edited:
You can download Wireshark for FREE.

That's what I would do - run wireshark and it will report back to you the IP address of the 820. Just make sure you are connected to it ONLY!!

Then change your Laptop to match and download a new setting into the Micro820.

I tried giving it an IP address through the SD Card slot with the following:

[PM]
[IPA=192.168.150.10]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.150.1]
[END]

and it did not take it.

Have you tried firmware update via the SD Card? just a stab in the dark or how about serial?