Cannot Connect To MicroLogix 1100 Through VM

JKS

Hi all;

I know I have to be missing something relatively simple, but for the life of me I cannot find it: I'm setting up a ML 1100 for a small job and the last thing that I was testing was the Ethernet Port and connecting through that.

RS500 v.9.00.00 and RSlinx v.2.59.01 running in a VM - VMware Workstation v.11.1.0.

I've written the program, set the IP address [192.168.100.10] in Channel 1, un-checked BOTTP and DHCP, left Auto-Negotiate checked, and downloaded via the serial cable and DF1 through a Serial:USB adapter. Go online via DF1 and everything is working great.

Connect Ethernet cable to ML and can't see it in Linx. Try to Ping it through the VM and it tells me "Request Timed Out."

Exit VM and Ping from there - talks great and no problems. Go back into VM and re-verify IP settings [192.168.100.21], Ping again, and nothing.

I've tried patch cables, cross over cables, ensuring the cables were plugged in only after I had entered the VM, played with the setting for Ch. 1 (and put them back), searched this forum, searched elsewhere, even read the manual... and I'm outta ideas.

I'm thinking it is in the VM settings but I checked those and the Network Adaptors are set to Bridge. I have connected many times to other Ethernet devices from this VM, and haven't had any problems.

Pretty sure I've missed something easy and obvious, but I'm not seeing it. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks guys!
- Jeff

Have you checked the Virtual Network Adapter setting? Make sure it is bridged to the correct Ethernet adapter on your computer. I have forgotten this setting before only to have it trying to use my wireless connection when it should have been using the wired connection.

If you open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG, does it report the IP address you have set it to?

I battled a similar issue only to discover my VM was using an IP address that another PC was already using. When I did the IPCONFIG setting, I got 169.254. something. Which of course is a default setting after a timeout.

OG

I find that bridged and giving your host and client IP addresses works best. Also you have to "connect" the port in the VM ware and often you need to disable your wireless too.
Your VM has IP 192.168.100.21, what is the IP of your host?

Can you ping the ML from your VM?

No, Ken - that's the problem: I can ping it from my host, but not from the VM.

Host is currently 192.168.100.42.
VM is 192.168.100.21.
PLC is 192.168.100.10.

Host to PLC, ping is good.
VM to PLC, ping is timing out.

What are your Network setting in VM Ware?
Identical. Just this one was built with two Network Adapters, and both are Bridged and set to Replicate.

Also, when I run IPCONFIG/ALL in the VM, I see both of the Network Adapters [192.168.100.21 and 192.168.100.42] as well as the host.

I was able to ping the Host from the VM, and started to ping the VM from the Host, but then the VM locked up on me. Tried to restart it but is just painfully slow. So, I'll have to start up on this again tomorrow -it also time to go home.

Thanks for helping me out - I will have more answers to questions in the morning.

Thanks again!
- Jeff

So two bridged adapters in the same VM. Make sure they are in separate IP address ranges. If they are on the same network, the system (Windows) can get confused.

If you need the VM to talk on two separate networks, then NAT might be the better option. Just make sure to set the IP addresses back to DHCP.

It would help to see the Virtual Network Adapter settings too.

OG

Ok, so I've tried a bunch of things again this morning:changing IP addresses, setting the adapter settings from NAT to Bridged and back again, and even firing up my old laptop with the same VM on it and cross-checking those settings - same results.

And those are that, as of right now, the VM cannot see the Host when pinged; the Host cannot see the VM when pinged; the VM cannot see the ML when ping; the Host CAN see the ML when pinged.

On my OLD laptop with the same VM: the VM cannot see the Host; the Host CAN see the VM; the VM CAN see the ML; and the Host CAN see the ML.

Definitely has to be something in the VM settings or Host settings on my new laptop, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

I'll try my best to post some screenshots of whatever you guys need from me - just let me know, please! I will be away from my desk for a while this morning, though, as I need to go troubleshoot a tidal generator.

Thanks again, everyone - I truly appreciate the help!
- Jeff