You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:15 PM   #1
carefulworker
Canada

AB L72 File Size

Hi there. Apologies for the basic question, but I have not been able to find an answer online.

I am developing an application on a ControlLogix L72, largely using SFC, with some ST and LAD also.
The result is that the file size is very large, ca. 17 MB so far, and may increase.

Can someone tell me what the largest file size I can load onto an L72 is? I know there is an SD Card included, but I cannot tell if this can be used to store the code.

Thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:24 PM   #2
JeremyM
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

As far as the controller's nonvolatile storage goes, you're well inside. I've downloaded much larger projects without encountering a limit. Good question.

The SD card can be used for project and firmware backup. The shipped capacity is either 1 or 2 GB, so no worries there.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:41 PM   #3
carefulworker
Canada

Ah OK, thank you for letting me know.

I have never worked on a program this big, I think it is bloated by the SFC Code, so was unsure. I read online that there is 4MB of User Memory available but I don't really know what this means, so was worried less than a quarter of the code would fit.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:44 PM   #4
plvlce
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

The size of the development file is not what you want to be looking at.

In your project file open the Controller Properties dialogue box. Under either 'Memory' or 'Capacity' (the name changed in recent software versions) you can see estimates of your current memory usage as compared to the total available for your controller.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 07:10 PM   #5
carefulworker
Canada

Good to know, I will check this when I have cleared the errors in the code.

I won't say how many there currently are when I verify the controller. . .
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum