1756-L82E losing program - Help!

We upgraded a machine which had 1756-L62 Ver 15 to 1756-L82E running version 32. Every once in a while the processor faults with Type 01 Code 61, and loses program. It creates a .bin file that we've already forwarded to Rockwell. At this point, Rockwell is clueless.
We have to download the program every single time. The issue has not been pinpointed to a particular trigger and not being able to capture it either because it wipes off the memory.
there are two sercos cards that were upgraded from ver15 to ver32 as well. The processor also has remote racks - flex i/o, 1756 i/o, vfds over ethernet. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Huh. We had a L62 that went poop recently. The first one I seen in my career.

Good luck. I really don't think there are any thing you can do.

Set your key to RUN mode only, try narrowing it down. Does this have motion group?

Yes, It does, after re-read your post

Last edited:
Perhaps your fault 01/61 is masking the root cause of the problem? I would suggest adding in a fault handler task to the controller and within the task grab the fault code and write this to the SD card. This is also a location that can be used to reset the controller fault before shutdown is initiated however this is a risky option as some root causes should indeed stop the process.

I have had similar issues with slc 500's and plc 5's.

does the plant experience brown outs? power spikes?
when the plc looses its program, did any of the large equipment (current intensive) turn on or off? power sags as in my case, can cause the plc to go to into an emergency shutdown condition. as the system is shutting down, the power returns to normal and the processor then tries to restart in the middle of the shutdown.

what is the voltage from line to neutral, line to ground, neutral to ground? you may have a floating neutral or ground issue. if so, connect the x2 terminal of the transformer to the panel ground.
have you checked all line, neutral, ground terminals for loose wires or not being tightened?

may i suggest that you first place a power surge unit in front of the plc, we use corcom.

you may also want to install a constant voltage transformer for the 120 volt supply.
hope these questions help,
james

Oh, that put a different perspective on it. So multiple L82E faulted in this installation? I'm surprised that Rockwell didn't send someone out, they would have done it in the old days.

18K for 3 CPU's, I think I would of told someone to come out

Perhaps your fault 01/61 is masking the root cause of the problem? I would suggest adding in a fault handler task to the controller and within the task grab the fault code and write this to the SD card.

+1 to this.

Because you effectively have to wipe volatile memory every time this happens, your best source of information would be from the fault handler sending all the error info you can grab to the SD card prior to re-download.