Can't disable bootp

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all, I have a SLC5/05 that I can use bootp to set the IP however, it will not allow me to disable bootp. I have looked at solutions here on the forum but they aren't working. It keeps telling me it can't connect to the socket? Thanks

I remember there were some products that you couldn’t use the BootP utility to disable. After you set the IP you have to use either the module configuration tool in RSLinx or the webpage of the device.

I remember there were some products that you couldn’t use the BootP utility to disable. After you set the IP you have to use either the module configuration tool in RSLinx or the webpage of the device.

Not sure how to use web page of the device. I enter the IP in my browser and it gives me an error, saying it doesn't exist.

On the settings screenshot above there is another checkbox for HTTP Server Enable.

If it is not checked the SLC won't show a webpage.

Do you have an offline copy of the program you can check the channel settings?

Also, what is the series of the L552, and FRN. Older series A CPU's had older daughterboards that were limited in Ethernet options.

EDIT: I just opened RSL500 and Series A CPU's don't show SNMP, DHCP or HTTP server checkboxes, or a Port Setting for speed - they were limited to 10Mbps

Last edited:
EDIT: I just opened RSL500 and Series A CPU's don't show SNMP, DHCP or HTTP server checkboxes, or a Port Setting for speed - they were limited to 10Mbps

Hence the reason I was asking "what is the series" but there is a work around if needed, even if you have a A or B open a new program with a C series and download the C to the processor with your static IP set... when download it will ask you if something like you are downloading a C to B do you want to and do you want to update the processor, just click yes and let it download and from what I can see your Bootp is disabled and your static IP is set, life is good...

The BootP utility from Rockwell usually works fine for setting the IP address of a PLC, but rarely works to disable BootP in the controller. What I usually do is set the IP address with the utility, then immediately use RSLogix to perform a download with the channel settings how I really want them to be. After that is done, I can power cycle it.