prox on wheel teeth only one direction

Hi all, sorry about late reply. The prox sensor is honeywell 922AA1Y-A4n-L. We found the hydraulic motor mount was not very tightly mounted. Or at least I think that is what it was. We also got the distance between the prox and the gear teeth at about 13/1000" inch according to the gauge we used. And it had been working correctly for the last two days. So keeping my fingers crossed. FYI, an old CPU board counts the input pulses from the prox to calculate the travel distance. Again, thank you so much for all your inputs. I have printed out all of them to try out if fails again.

Thanks for update. FYI I have found unshielded prox. works better with gear teeth than shielded, if metal is not near the sides of the face then you could use unshielded(same switch could be purchased with out shield) and it would probably be easier to get it set correctly, if memory serves me correct you also get a little longer sensing distance. Remember you have a magnetic field out of the end of the prox. that is pear shaped. To bad it is'nt flame shaped it would work better with gear teeth.

Thanks for the update and feedback.

So the gear was tight on the shaft, but the mount for the motor that drove the shaft was not tight to the frame? And the prox was on the frame or otherwise being shaken about by the free play in the motor/mount?

Wow, I bet there was quite the sigh of relief when you found that.

The sensing range on that prox is 1mm to 4 mm so setting it at .013 seems to close although its working and that's what matters.